From: Murray Eisenberg on
I have a cell style, Exercise, in a style sheet that's just a variant of
Text style. Its definition includes option CounterIncrements->"Exercise".

That style sheet is applied to a notebook where I'm going to use that
style. Three questions:

(1) Is there some way of automatically having the number appear at the
beginning of any such cell when I create it -- without using menu item
Insert > Automatic Numbering.

(2) Is there some way of automatically having such a cell begin with the
text "Exercise"?

(3) Is there some way of automatically having such a cell begin with
"Exercise n. " where n is an actual automatic numbering counter value?

--
Murray Eisenberg murray(a)math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.