From: Emma on
I no I don't need an auto number but basically what I need is a number that
counts sequentially 1-[1st month end number] then starts over again for the
next month ie 1- [next month end number]. The field and column name is
[Financial ID].... I was thinking something like:

Private Sub Form_Before Update(Cancel as Integer)
If Me.NewRecord and Month([DateofLoanAgreement])=Month(Now()) then
Me![Financial ID] = Now() + Nz(DMax( "[Financial ID]", "[Loans -
Table]"])+1
End If
End Sub

I know it's all very confusing but maybe someone could help me organize this
so it makes sense? Not sure if I can put Now90's date in front of the auto
number? Or if I should be using the format?

From: Jeff Boyce on
Emma

You do not need to actually store a "number" (it isn't a number, you know,
because you won't do any math on it) like that (and it's rarely necessary).
Storing more than one fact in a single field (your sequence number, a
"dash", and your [month end number]) is not good design.

Moreover, what happens NEXT year when you have another month "04"?!

By all means, do a search on-line for "custom autonumber" to get some ideas
on how to build a procedure that gives you sequential number. But decide
how to handle the same month happening year after year, and then look into
using a query to concatenate together the pieces you need to display --
e.g., your expression might look something like:

YourNewExpression: [YourSequenceField] & " - " & {YourYearMonthValue}

Good luck!

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP