From: Al on
Hi Folks,

I have been getting into the world of Linux, partly because it has
some quite good tools for dealing with DR. I have been slowly find
ways to do things that I used to do in Windows in Linux.

One of these is the surface test of a hard disk. In WIndows I used to
use Partition Table Doctor, which is a farily generic windows based
surface tester among other things.

The other day I used badblock on a drive that Partition table doctor
had told me had a bad sector, but badblocks failed to find it.

This has got me puzzled. Anyone able to shed any light on why this
might be?

Admittadly the drive only had 1 bad block, but shouldnt the results be
the same?

Cheers in advance,

-Al
From: DenverD on
Al wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have been getting into the world of Linux, partly because it has
> some quite good tools for dealing with DR.

i wonder what DR is and how it relates to your posted problem, but i
can't figure it out from here: http://www.acronymfinder.com/DR.html

and, i wonder how many key strokes you saved by not typing it out..

and, since i've never used nor seen "Partition Table Doctor" i wonder
what forensic tools it uses it determine a sector is bad (how bad?) [i
tried to learn what it does at http://www.ptdd.com/surfacetest.htm,
but couldn't] and i wonder if a Partition Table Doctor's "sector" is
the same as a badblock's "block"..

and, i wonder if you correctly specified the block size when running
badblock [If you set it too low, however, for a
non-destructive-write-mode test, then it's possble for questionable
blocks on an unreliable hard drive to be hidden by the effects of the
hard disk track buffer. cite:
http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl8_badblocks.htm]

with all that said, i also wonder which got it wrong Partition Table
Doctor or badblock...and, if the wrong result was due to operator
error or the intrinsic 'bestness' of one program over the other..

finally, if your hard drive is relatively modern you might find
monitoring by the S.M.A.R.T. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.>
daemon (look for "Smartmontools" for your flavor of linux) isn't more
useful to you (i mean, do you really care if you have one bad block or
10,000 when you have billion still good? what you really care about is
is the disk trustworthy, or not)..

if your distro doesn't have it handy, you can get the source from
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki/TocDoc

as always, ymmv.
--
DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 (20090817),
KDE 3.5.7 "release 72-11", openSUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.19-0.4-default
#1 SMP i686 athlon
From: Chris Davies on
DenverD <spam.trap(a)somewhere.dk> wrote:
> i wonder what DR is and how it relates to your posted problem, but i
> can't figure it out from here: http://www.acronymfinder.com/DR.html

Disaster Recovery
Chris
From: DenverD on
> Disaster Recovery

thanks!!

of course i should have figured that out..

since Winders folks spend a lot of time doing that, and thinking about
it, and talking/writing about it...i can see how they might have 'DR'
as a well worn and widely recognized acronym.......heh.

#1 SMP i686 athlon
From: Bill Marcum on
On 2009-10-10, Al <bigal.nz(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have been getting into the world of Linux, partly because it has
> some quite good tools for dealing with DR. I have been slowly find
> ways to do things that I used to do in Windows in Linux.
>
> One of these is the surface test of a hard disk. In WIndows I used to
> use Partition Table Doctor, which is a farily generic windows based
> surface tester among other things.
>
> The other day I used badblock on a drive that Partition table doctor
> had told me had a bad sector, but badblocks failed to find it.
>
> This has got me puzzled. Anyone able to shed any light on why this
> might be?
>
> Admittadly the drive only had 1 bad block, but shouldnt the results be
> the same?

I wonder if you were running badblocks on the whole drive (/dev/sda) or on
a partition (dev/sda1)?