From: John Kelly on

I compiled bash 4.1 on Interix and process substitution works with
backquotes, but not with $(...), I get an error message.

Any ideas?

--
Web mail, POP3, and SMTP
http://www.beewyz.com/freeaccounts.php

From: pk on
John Kelly wrote:

> I compiled bash 4.1 on Interix and process substitution works with
> backquotes, but not with $(...), I get an error message.

You may want to ask on the bug-bash mailing list.

From: Keith Thompson on
pk <pk(a)pk.invalid> writes:
> John Kelly wrote:
>> I compiled bash 4.1 on Interix and process substitution works with
>> backquotes, but not with $(...), I get an error message.
>
> You may want to ask on the bug-bash mailing list.

And tell them *what the error message says*.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u(a)mib.org <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
Nokia
From: John Kelly on
On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 15:32:01 -0700, Keith Thompson <kst-u(a)mib.org>
wrote:

>pk <pk(a)pk.invalid> writes:
>> John Kelly wrote:
>>> I compiled bash 4.1 on Interix and process substitution works with
>>> backquotes, but not with $(...), I get an error message.
>>
>> You may want to ask on the bug-bash mailing list.
>
>And tell them *what the error message says*.

Good idea. And I meant command substitution, not process substitution.

I tried to compile bash 4.0, but it wants autoconf, which wants m4 and
perl. I built m4-1.4.11, but no joy with perl 5.8.9, 5.10.1, or 5.12.1.

bash 4.1 builds without autoconf, but gives $(...) error.

From: John Kelly on
On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 22:59:31 +0000, John Kelly <jak(a)isp2dial.com> wrote:

> but no joy with perl 5.8.9, 5.10.1, or 5.12.1.

I later got Perl 5.12.1 built and installed on Interix 3.5 (Windows XP).

Two tests were hanging:

cpan/autodie/t/recv.t
cpan/Tie-File/t/14_lock.t

So I deleted those tests and removed them from MANIFEST. Then I got:

>Failed 15 tests out of 1678, 99.11% okay.

but forged ahead with "make install" anyway. Then I ran my own little
test script, and it worked. So despite the test failures, maybe Perl on
Interix will be good enough for light use on a Windows box.

It's cool running unix tools on Windows box with a "real" (more or less)
unix subsystem, as opposed to Cygwin.

--
Web mail, POP3, and SMTP
http://www.beewyz.com/freeaccounts.php