From: Kenny McCormack on
In article <1989500.lGaqSPkdTl(a)xkzjympik>, pk <pk(a)pk.invalid> wrote:
>Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>
>> (JFYI: This has nothing to do with bash, and little to do with shell-
>> scripting. You want to choose your forum more carefully next time.
>
>And this is not a forum, for that matter.

It's not?

A forum is a place for discussion. This is a place for discussion.
I leave it to you to connect the dots.

--
(This discussion group is about C, ...)

Wrong. It is only OCCASIONALLY a discussion group
about C; mostly, like most "discussion" groups, it is
off-topic Rorsharch revelations of the childhood
traumas of the participants...

From: Sidney Lambe on
On comp.unix.shell, Chris F.A. Johnson <cfajohnson(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 2010-04-03, pk wrote:
>
>> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>>
>>> (JFYI: This has nothing to do with bash, and little to do
>>> with shell- scripting. You want to choose your forum more
>>> carefully next time.
>>
>> And this is not a forum, for that matter.
>
> Of course it's a forum. It's not a _web_ forum but it is a
> forum.

Yep. In fact, the protocol is misnamed. It shouldn't be called NNTP,
Network News Transfer Protocol, it should be called something
like NFBP, Network Forum and Bulletin Protocol.

Sid

From: pk on
Kenny McCormack wrote:

> In article <1989500.lGaqSPkdTl(a)xkzjympik>, pk <pk(a)pk.invalid> wrote:
>>Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>>
>>> (JFYI: This has nothing to do with bash, and little to do with shell-
>>> scripting. You want to choose your forum more carefully next time.
>>
>>And this is not a forum, for that matter.
>>

> It's not?
>
> A forum is a place for discussion. This is a place for discussion.
> I leave it to you to connect the dots.

I suppose we are assuming different meaning of the word.

Anyway, it would not be the first that someone reads a newsgroup through an
Internet forum gateway, and genuinely thinks that he's interacting with a
forum. I don't know whether that is the case here (hopefully not, but you
never know); I think it's better to avoid ambiguities.
From: Sidney Lambe on
On comp.unix.shell, pk <pk(a)pk.invalid> wrote:

> Kenny McCormack wrote:
>
>> In article <1989500.lGaqSPkdTl(a)xkzjympik>, pk <pk(a)pk.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>>And this is not a forum, for that matter.
>>
>> It's not?
>>
>> A forum is a place for discussion. This is a place for .
>> discussion I leave it to you to connect the dots .
>
> I suppose we are assuming different meaning of the word.
>
> Anyway, it would not be the first that someone reads a
> newsgroup through an Internet forum gateway, and genuinely
> thinks that he's interacting with a forum. I don't know whether
> that is the case here (hopefully not, but you never know); I
> think it's better to avoid ambiguities.

You should look at people's headers. He's accessing the Usenet
via googlegroups.com. That's a newsreader accessed via a
web-interface. It stinks, but a lot of people just don't know
any better and think the usenet is a google creation. They mix
in their own groups with usenet groups to further promote this
illusion.

Sid

From: Ben Finney on
pk <pk(a)pk.invalid> writes:

> Kenny McCormack wrote:
> > A forum is a place for discussion. This is a place for discussion. I
> > leave it to you to connect the dots.
>
> I suppose we are assuming different meaning of the word.

The word “forum” continues to mean what it meant since before computers
existed. Usenet newsgroups, mailing lists, town council meetings, and
street parties are all forums. Just because crappy web applications for
walled-garden conversations have cropped up, does not take away the
existing meanings of “forum”.

--
\ “Remember: every member of your 'target audience' also owns a |
`\ broadcasting station. These 'targets' can shoot back.” —Michael |