From: three_jeeps on

Hello:
I am looking for some pointers on how to set up postfix as a mail server.
I am running ubuntu 8.04 server. I use DynDns free web host redirects - my
domain is
foo.homeunix.com, my isp (comcast) is 24.168.22.34 (fictious address), my
ubuntu server has a
static ip address of 192.168.0.100 and behind a cable modem router.

I have configured my dynamic DNS host as a record ponted to an IP address to
map my local server IP
address to the comcast ISP address. (I run apache2 and http requests work
fine).
Question: Is this configuration sufficient to allow postscript on my server
to operate as a mail server
(when properly configured?) I assume for postfix config my FQDN is
foo.homeunix.com?
If not, what needs to be done? DynDns also has a service that sets the MX
records for my host.
Question: Do I need to configure the MX records for my host to make it email
routing work?

Question: Assuming the above is sufficient (and if necessary MX records
configured), is there a guide that
will explain how to configure postfix as an outbound only server?

Alternative approach: If I want to configure Postfix as an outbound only
server, relaying through my
gmail account, how can this be done? Is the above configuration through
DynDns sufficient? if not,
what is missing.
Thank you for your help
-J

From: mouss on
three_jeeps a �crit :
> Hello:
> I am looking for some pointers on how to set up postfix as a mail server.
> I am running ubuntu 8.04 server. I use DynDns free web host redirects - my
> domain is
> foo.homeunix.com, my isp (comcast) is 24.168.22.34 (fictious address), my
> ubuntu server has a
> static ip address of 192.168.0.100 and behind a cable modem router.

the "internal" IP (192.168....) doesn't matter. does your provider
"promiss" a static external IP?

if not, imagine what happens if your IP is allocated to someonelse: your
mail will go to a bad place.

> I have configured my dynamic DNS host as a record ponted to an IP address to
> map my local server IP
> address to the comcast ISP address. (I run apache2 and http requests work
> fine).
> Question: Is this configuration sufficient to allow postscript on my serve

I guess: s/postscript/postfix...

> to operate as a mail server
> (when properly configured?) I assume for postfix config my FQDN is
> foo.homeunix.com?
> If not, what needs to be done? DynDns also has a service that sets the MX
> records for my host.
> Question: Do I need to configure the MX records for my host to make it email
> routing work?

if you want to receive mail for example.com, then you set up an MX for
example.com. it's about mail to joe(a)example.com. it's not about the name
of your machine.

> Question: Assuming the above is sufficient (and if necessary MX records
> configured), is there a guide that
> will explain how to configure postfix as an outbound only server?

check www.postfix.org. click on "documentation" and follow the links. in
particular:

http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html

null client and firewall setups should help you...

> Alternative approach: If I want to configure Postfix as an outbound only
> server, relaying through my
> gmail account, how can this be done?

that will certainly be better for "deliverability", but you need to
setup smtp SASL (client side):
http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#client_sasl

> Is the above configuration through
> DynDns sufficient? if not,
> what is missing.

dyndns can do nothing about your reverse dns. your ISP decides what your
PTR is. if it looks "suspicious", you'll have deliverability problems.
a comcast origin isn't the best thing you can have:)

so, go for the gmail approach. the good thing is that it should force
you to learn more about smtp (in particular, SASL setup), which you
won't regret.