From: Janis on
dave wrote:
> Janis <janis_papanagnou(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> > dave calc:
> >> Does anyone have any comments on bc vs calc (my favorite calculator
> >> program)?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > calc: not found
>
> Try http://isthe.com/chongo/tech/comp/calc/.

Thank's for the link. But it's no option for me to use any other tool
that is not generally available on any Unix system I work on. You can
expect 'bc' to be available. Portability is an issue.

Janis

From: dave on
Janis <janis_papanagnou(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> dave wrote:
>> Janis <janis_papanagnou(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> > dave calc:
>> >
>> > Yes.
>> >
>> > calc: not found
>>
>> Try http://isthe.com/chongo/tech/comp/calc/.
>
> Thank's for the link. But it's no option for me to use any other tool
> that is not generally available on any Unix system I work on. You can
> expect 'bc' to be available. Portability is an issue.
>
> Janis

I have downloaded and built calc on OpenBSD. Calc is included as a
pre-built package on OpenBSD and probably on the other BSD's as well.

Dave
From: Janis on
dave wrote:
> Janis <janis_papanagnou(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> > dave wrote:

> >> Try http://isthe.com/chongo/tech/comp/calc/.
> >
> > Thank's for the link. But it's no option for me to use any other tool
> > that is not generally available on any Unix system I work on. You can
> > expect 'bc' to be available. Portability is an issue.
>
> I have downloaded and built calc on OpenBSD. Calc is included as a
> pre-built package on OpenBSD and probably on the other BSD's as well.

Fine. So what?

My first reply to your "my favorite calculator" statement might
have been too brief to understand why it is a problem to rely
on non-standard tools. You seem to assume that on whatever
machine you want you may install whatever tool you like. Real
Life is different.

Janis

From: Kenny McCormack on
In article <1164732572.222070.82070(a)j44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Janis <janis_papanagnou(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>My first reply to your "my favorite calculator" statement might
>have been too brief to understand why it is a problem to rely
>on non-standard tools. You seem to assume that on whatever
>machine you want you may install whatever tool you like. Real
>Life is different.

Maybe you need to trade your life in on new and better one.

Seriously - if you *can't* install your own tools, then you're living in
a box.

From: Loki Harfagr on
Le Sun, 26 Nov 2006 18:15:35 -0600, dave a �crit�:

> Does anyone have any comments on bc vs calc (my favorite calculator
> program)?

Using bc saves a lot of typing, half letters free !-)

Now, I mostly use bc, that's for portability reasons, as Janis
already stated, though on my *own* (not contractors or caged) I
sometimes have the use for a different level stuff then I don't
know much about 'calc' but I use 'mathomatic' which you may like
to try if you're looking for a competitor to 'calc' :D)
http://mathomatic.orgserve.de/math/
But this is not much on topic for 'c.u.shell' so I rest my case ;-)