From: Marcel Holtmann on
Hi Florian,

> after trying around with my ancient bcm2033 bluetooth dongle i found it
> not working in 2.6.24 - I debugged udev and found it loading the
> firmware correctly but the device seems to have problems disconnecting.
>
> I found an Ubuntu bug which mentions a patch which supposed to be
> 2.6.20 material. It still applies and fixes my problem:
>
> Ubuntu Bug:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/85247
>
> Patch:
> http://launchpadlibrarian.net/7058766/bcm203x-2.6.20-backport.diff
>
> So it seems this patch never went in but most likely should.

we moved away from using a timer and using a workqueue now. It wrote the
patch to use a workqueue and tested that it works. Starting with 2.6.19
we the usage of a workqueue is default. Can you verify that non of the
kernels 2.6.19-2.6.23 are working. We might have missed a change inside
the USB subsystem within the 2.6.24 timeframe.

Regards

Marcel

From: Florian Lohoff on
On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 06:33:52PM +0100, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> we moved away from using a timer and using a workqueue now. It wrote the
> patch to use a workqueue and tested that it works. Starting with 2.6.19
> we the usage of a workqueue is default. Can you verify that non of the
> kernels 2.6.19-2.6.23 are working. We might have missed a change inside
> the USB subsystem within the 2.6.24 timeframe.

My tests were on 2.6.24 which does not work as described. Newer
kernels dont boot due to crash in ide-cd so i cant test ...

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff flo(a)rfc822.org +49-171-2280134
Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little
From: Florian Lohoff on

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 06:33:52PM +0100, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> we moved away from using a timer and using a workqueue now. It wrote the
> patch to use a workqueue and tested that it works. Starting with 2.6.19
> we the usage of a workqueue is default. Can you verify that non of the
> kernels 2.6.19-2.6.23 are working. We might have missed a change inside
> the USB subsystem within the 2.6.24 timeframe.

I went through the kernels i still have on this box (FSC LifeBook E8110)
and here are the results. Except the debian 2.6.18-5-686 no newer kernel
works. The onboard bluetooth works like a charm always whereas the
bcm203x simply does not reconnect after loading firmware from 2.6.19 on.

2.6.18-5-686 (debian) works
2.6.19 breaks
2.6.21-rc5 breaks
2.6.22-rc5 breaks
2.6.22-2-686 (debian) breaks
2.6.23-1-686 (debian) breaks
2.6.24 breaks

It basically looks always like this:

<insert>
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
Bluetooth: Broadcom Blutonium firmware driver ver 1.1
usbcore: registered new interface driver bcm203x
<wait for 30 seconds - then pull>
bcm203x_complete: URB failed with status -84
usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 2

Flo