From: Jonathan on
Hi, is there a switch that I can use so that the first row of the destination
text file contains the exported view column names?

Any ideas appreciated :-)

Many thanks,
Jonathan
From: Erland Sommarskog on
Jonathan (Jonathan(a)discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> Hi, is there a switch that I can use so that the first row of the
> destination text file contains the exported view column names?

No, there isn't. You can compose a UNION ALL query that includes the
colunm names, but it can be difficult to ensure that the column names
come first. A better solution may be to write a separate file with the
column names, and then use COPY command to append the two files. But
this is not viable if the exported file is huge.

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
From: Jonathan on
Thanks Erland. I had a feeling that this was the case and have used the
method as you described as a work around.

Jonathan

From: Michael Coles on
You might also take a look at SQLCMD
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms162773.aspx). You can execute a
query in SQLCMD and redirect the output to a file, and get headers in the
output.

--
Thanks

Michael Coles
SQL Server MVP
Author, "Expert SQL Server 2008 Encryption"
(http://www.apress.com/book/view/1430224649)
----------------

"Jonathan" <Jonathan(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Erland. I had a feeling that this was the case and have used the
> method as you described as a work around.
>
> Jonathan
>
> "Erland Sommarskog" wrote:
>
>> Jonathan (Jonathan(a)discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
>> > Hi, is there a switch that I can use so that the first row of the
>> > destination text file contains the exported view column names?
>>
>> No, there isn't. You can compose a UNION ALL query that includes the
>> colunm names, but it can be difficult to ensure that the column names
>> come first. A better solution may be to write a separate file with the
>> column names, and then use COPY command to append the two files. But
>> this is not viable if the exported file is huge.
>>
>> --
>> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel(a)sommarskog.se
>>
>> Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx
>> Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
>> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx