From: John Smith on
Hi all,
Sendmail is great. It really does everything I want for my needs. I
also realize it has
a lot of code. What I need now is to freeze the input queue so I can
reroute mail of
a certain type. Is there anyway to do this cleanly and efficiently?

thanks,
glen
From: Loki Harfagr on
Sat, 03 Jul 2010 15:50:41 -0700, John Smith did cat :

> Hi all,
> Sendmail is great. It really does everything I want for my needs. I
> also realize it has
> a lot of code. What I need now is to freeze the input queue so I can
> reroute mail of
> a certain type. Is there anyway to do this cleanly and efficiently?

wouldn't this fit the request?
- stop the sendmail service
- do your stuff
- restart the sendmail service
From: John Smith on
On Jul 4, 3:17 am, Loki Harfagr <l...(a)thedarkdesign.free.fr.INVALID>
wrote:
> Sat, 03 Jul 2010 15:50:41 -0700, John Smith did cat :
>
> > Hi all,
> > Sendmail is great. It really does everything I want for my needs.  I
> > also realize it has
> > a lot of code.  What I need now is to freeze the input queue so I can
> > reroute mail of
> > a certain type.  Is there anyway to do this cleanly and efficiently?
>
> wouldn't this fit the request?
> - stop the sendmail service
> - do your stuff
> - restart the sendmail service

yes, that is one way we already talked about doing this. But, we want
it to be
self-contained within sendmail. Automatically, freeze the queue at
periodic
intervals and reroute the messages according to a new sendmail
rerouting table.
What would this involve?
thanksp;
glen
From: Claus Aßmann on
John Smith wrote:

> a lot of code. What I need now is to freeze the input queue so I can
> reroute mail of a certain type. Is there anyway to do this cleanly and
> efficiently?

"What's the problem you are trying to solve?"

Don't describe the way you would like to solve the underlying
problem, describe the problem itselft (plus possible solutions
you have tried/thought of).
From: Loki Harfagr on
Sun, 04 Jul 2010 11:16:40 -0700, John Smith did cat :

> On Jul 4, 3:17 am, Loki Harfagr <l...(a)thedarkdesign.free.fr.INVALID>
> wrote:
>> Sat, 03 Jul 2010 15:50:41 -0700, John Smith did cat :
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> > Sendmail is great. It really does everything I want for my needs.  I
>> > also realize it has
>> > a lot of code.  What I need now is to freeze the input queue so I can
>> > reroute mail of
>> > a certain type.  Is there anyway to do this cleanly and efficiently?
>>
>> wouldn't this fit the request?
>> - stop the sendmail service
>> - do your stuff
>> - restart the sendmail service
>
> yes, that is one way we already talked about doing this.

Did we? What was the thread reference (and why this new thread then?)

> But, we want
> it to be
> self-contained within sendmail. Automatically, freeze the queue at
> periodic
> intervals and reroute the messages according to a new sendmail rerouting
> table.
> What would this involve?

two points of vieaw (at least)

1. technically I'd bet you could do achieve it with a script that'd
swap the access mailer virtuser tables accordingly (access eg:
Connect:1 471 wait a minute somethings gotta give
Connect:254 471 wait a minute somethings gotta give
)

2. functionnally, a better question would be why the hell would
you need to do it and what exactly is it you're actually trying and achieve ?-)