From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 17:00:37 -0700, rantingrick wrote:

> Looks like the dev cycle is completely "idle" at this point and
> suffering the fate of monkey patch syndrome.

That's the second time that I've noticed you use the term "monkey patch".
I don't think it means what you seem to think it means. You seem to be
using it in the sense of "being patched by monkeys", but that's not the
commonly agreed meaning of monkey-patching.

Monkey-patching is patching code on the fly, rather than modifying the
source code or subclassing it. For example, suppose for I wanted math.sin
to accept arguments in degrees rather than radians, I might do this:

import math
_sin = math.sin # save the original code
def sin(x):
return _sin(math.radians(x))

math.sin = sin

And lo and behold, now every module that uses math.sin will see your new
version. That's a monkey-patch. It's an incredibly powerful technique,
allowing you to not only shoot your own foot off, but that of everyone
else as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_patch

--
Steven
From: Michael Torrie on
On 06/25/2010 04:15 PM, Emile van Sebille wrote:
> Idle is dead -- long live idlefork!
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/python.idle/2002-09/msg00105.html

Actually idlefork is dead. It was merged back into Idle sometime around
Python 2.3. At least that's what its homepage claims.
From: Terry Reedy on
On 6/25/2010 4:56 PM, Stephen Hansen wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 1:26 PM, rantingrick <rantingrick(a)gmail.com

> If *I* open an issue it will be ignored or quickly dismissed because
> the people in charge of the Python community hate me.
>
> Nonsense.
>
> Though an inflammatory, hyperbole-filled rant made up of nothing but
> charged declarations and rhetoric, and lacking actual reasoned and
> evidence supported arguments will certainly get deleted-- like I'm going
> to do with most of your message as I quote But! I think you're missing
> something:

Rick, I am one of the all-too-few people who review tracker issues and
occasionally close them. I do not 'hate' you and have never
'brow-beaten' you. As you seem to be aware, the rhetorial confines of
the tracker are much stricter than here. 'Reasoned and evidence
supported arguments' are definitely the coin of that realm. Rants are out.

If you have a potential contribution but do not trust yourself to
restrain yourself as appropriate to the tracker, you can send it to me.
If I think it plausible, I will open an issue and credit 'anonymous' or
whatever neutral, unloaded name you prefer ('Rick' ok, 'RantingRick' not).

--
Terry Jan Reedy

From: rantingrick on
On Jun 26, 5:36 pm, Terry Reedy <tjre...(a)udel.edu> wrote:

> Rick, I am one of the all-too-few people who review tracker issues and
> occasionally close them. I do not 'hate' you and have never
> 'brow-beaten' you.

Yes and i never said you did, i am sorry if you felt my words were
directed towards you, please believe they were not. I have always
thought you to be someone who never lets emotions get in the way of
business. Thank you for that.

> If you have a potential contribution but do not trust yourself to
> restrain yourself as appropriate to the tracker, you can send it to me.
> If I think it plausible, I will open an issue and credit 'anonymous' or
> whatever neutral, unloaded name you prefer ('Rick' ok, 'RantingRick' not)..

Yes and i *did* send you an email about two days ago and it keeps
bouncing. I just figured you had blocked me or something? However i
just found a new address for you and i will be trying it shortly.
Anyway could you send me an email so i can contact you in the future.
As i have said before i do not want any credit, or recognition. I only
want to improve the stdlib.

Thanks Terry.