From: Peso on
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/peterl/archive/2008/11/23/Bin-packaging.aspx

From: TheSQLGuru on
Once again your ivory-tower idocy comes forth. In the real world people do
not always get to pick the optimal platform on which to develop a product or
application. No one said anything about transact sql being a good toold for
solving this problem.

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.

From: --CELKO-- on
>> Once again your ivory-tower idocy [sic] comes forth. <<

in case you did not know, the knapsack/bin packing problem is CLASSIC
"ivory-tower idiocy" with a long history.

>>  In the real world people do not always get to pick the optimal platform on which to develop a product or application.<<

Buy me a lot scotch and I will tell you about commercial applications
in FORTRAN on mini-computers in the 1970's.

>> No one said anything about T-SQL being a good tool for solving this problem. <<

Yes, nobody did. Please tell us the point of your posting. Kevin,
you usually do better than this. When my game newsgroups game is down
I am usually drunk. Ask my wife.

SCRATCH THAT!
From: Tony Rogerson on
> Yes, nobody did. Please tell us the point of your posting. Kevin,
> you usually do better than this. When my game newsgroups game is down

No doubt yet another expert in the field entirely sick of your inane drivel
and bad attitude on this MICROSOFT SQL SERVER forum.

Why is it we never see you on the db2, oracle or teradata forums?
Considering you said you are active on those products and not active in SQL
Server logic would dictate that you would spend time on those other forums.

--ROGGIE--

From: Gert-Jan Strik on
Thanks for the tip. I found the Martello-Toth book online, including
their FORTRAN code. I am studying it now. If it leads to an improved SQL
Server implementation, I will let the world know.

--
Gert-Jan
SQL Server MVP