From: Buster on
I'd like to have an arbitrary function with arguments
called when execution leaves a function, either
normally or because of an exception. I assumed
there was a boost structure, not unlike a semaphore
guard, that took a generic function object but
I can't find one. Does such a thing exist ?

void func1(int);
void func2();

void func3()
{
guard G(make_guard(bind(&func1, 5)));

func2();

G.release();
}

From: Joshua Lehrer on

> void func3()
> {
> guard G(make_guard(bind(&func1, 5)));
>
> func2();
>
> G.release();

see Andrei's scopeguard framework with my improvements:

http://www.zete.org/people/jlehrer/scopeguard.html

Joshua Lehrer
http://www.lehrerfamily.com/

From: Maxim Yegorushkin on
Buster wrote:
> > I'd like to have an arbitrary function with arguments
> > called when execution leaves a function, either
> > normally or because of an exception. I assumed
> > there was a boost structure, not unlike a semaphore
> > guard, that took a generic function object but
> > I can't find one. Does such a thing exist ?
> >
> > void func1(int);
> > void func2();
> >
> > void func3()
> > {
> > guard G(make_guard(bind(&func1, 5)));
> >
> > func2();
> >
> > G.release();
> > }

You can make one yourself easily:

namespace detail {

class scope_guard_base
{
public:
void release() const { do_rollback_ = false; }

scope_guard_base() : do_rollback_(true) {}

scope_guard_base(const scope_guard_base& other)
: do_rollback_(other.do_rollback_)
{
other.release();
}

protected:
mutable bool do_rollback_;
};

template<class F>
class scope_guard_impl : public scope_guard_base
{
public:
explicit scope_guard_impl(F const& b)
: rollback_(b)
{}

~scope_guard_impl()
{
if(do_rollback_)
rollback_();
}

private:
F rollback_;
};

} // namespace detail

typedef const detail::scope_guard_base& scope_guard;

template<class F>
inline detail::scope_guard_impl<F> make_guard(F const& f)
{
return detail::scope_guard_impl<F>(f);
}

Another one can be found here:
http://boost.cvs.sourceforge.net/boost/boost/boost/multi_index/detail/scope_guard.hpp?revision=HEAD&view=markup

From: Ivan Novick on
Hi Max,

Maxim Yegorushkin wrote:
> You can make one yourself easily:

Do you have any link to what is a guard?
Sorry for newbie question.

Ivan

From: Buster on
Ivan Novick wrote:
> Hi Max,
>
> Maxim Yegorushkin wrote:
>
>>You can make one yourself easily:
>

> Do you have any link to what is a guard?
> Sorry for newbie question.

I'm no expert, but to return the favor...

A guard is an object which makes sure an operation
is undone, for example, before execution leaves the
current function. Guards handle exception throwing
too.

A common guard is an automatic pointer:

autoptr<Foo> ap(new Foo());

which frees the Foo after it's no longer needed.

Another is a semaphore guard which gives back the
semaphore once execution leaves the mutex section:

boost::mutex m;

void func()
{
boost::mutex::scoped_lock l(m);
// mutex section
}

A common property of a guard is that it takes
the resource during construction (before giving it
back at destruction.) This ensures that no exception
can be thrown before getting the resource under the
protection of the guard.

The guard that I was looking for was a bit different.
With it, I'm not looking to protect a resource (so
it doesn't "take" anything during construction).
All I want is for a generic function to be called
before leaving an execution block.

To follow up with the previous posts, the ones
suggested weren't exactly what I was looking for
because they require a hard-to-specify local
variable:

scoped_guard<???> g = make_guard(boost::bind(function, arg1, arg2));

whereas all I wanted to write was:

scoped_guard g = ...

If I've misunderstood, I'd appreciate the clarification.