From: Justin D. on
Hi
I am trying to display as '1' at the Reporting Service, but it keeps coming
out as 'True.'
Is there anyway I could display as number - '1' ?
When I do a query from MS SQL Server Mgmt Studio 2005, it displays as '1'
but when the same sp runs from the Reporting Service, it displays as 'True'.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Justin
From: Plamen Ratchev on
Cast the column to INT, like CAST(bit_column AS INT), and see if it
does the trick.

--
Plamen Ratchev
http://www.SQLStudio.com

From: Justin D. on
Thanks.

From: --CELKO-- on
It is a good idea to avoid BIT. First it was a bit in the usual sense
of {0,1}, then it became a numeric data type, with {0, 1, NULL}.
Programmers who are still stuck with an assembly language mindset try
to map it to {TRUE, FALSE} but some languages (VB and C# among many)
show TRUE with an internal -1 and others use +1. You already ran into
another inconsistency yourself.

Unlike assembly languages, COBOL and older procedural languages, SQL
is a "predicate language" that finds the status of the data with
expressions rather than by looking for flags set by the previous steps
in a sequential process.

From: Wes Groleau on
On 07-27-2010 18:38, --CELKO-- wrote:
> Programmers who are still stuck with an assembly language mindset try
> to map it to {TRUE, FALSE} but some languages (VB and C# among many)
> show TRUE with an internal -1 and others use +1. You already ran into

And some languages actually support abstraction and expect you
to think of a boolean as either true or false and never numeric.
SQL is pretty good in general for abstraction, but it would be
nice if it had an actual boolean type instead of one that you can't use
unless you can remember what number(s) are used for each value.

The ability to have {true, false, undefined} instead of only
{true, false} is another benefit.

--
Wes Groleau

People would have more leisure time if it weren't
for all the leisure-time activities that use it up.
-- Peg Bracken