From: Christoph Hellwig on
On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 11:39:01AM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> From: Kay Sievers <kay.sievers(a)vrfy.org>
> Subject: block: move del_gendisk() from fs/partitions/check.c to block/genhd.c
>
> Disk code belongs into genhd, not into the partition scanner code.

Sounds fine for del_gendisk, but read_dev_sector which isn't mentioned
here really is for partitioning.

From: Christoph Hellwig on
On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 11:56:56AM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> > Sounds fine for del_gendisk, but read_dev_sector which isn't mentioned
> > here really is for partitioning.
>
> Right, the next patch moves it to /block/partition.c, because all the
> sysfs and driver core code really should not be below fs/.
>
> If you want me to re reshuffle that, let me know. I was just annoyed
> again, and after all these years I though it's time to move that stuff
> around. :)

So then please keep read_dev_sector in the file where it is right now,
and just move the whole directory from fs/partitions/ to
block/partitions. While you're at it fs/bio.c and fs/block_dev.c
really belong into block/, too. The latter could also need some split
up.

From: Christoph Hellwig on
On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 12:04:09PM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> Are you sure, that partition formats don't belong in fs/? It's kinda
> specific on-disk-layout like a fs, and I would have no problem with
> that staying in fs/.

It's on disk formats, but it's not related to filesystems at all.