From: Kay Sievers on
On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 11:40, Christoph Hellwig <hch(a)infradead.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 11:39:01AM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
>> From: Kay Sievers <kay.sievers(a)vrfy.org>
>> Subject: block: move del_gendisk() from fs/partitions/check.c to block/genhd.c
>>
>> Disk code belongs into genhd, not into the partition scanner code.
>
> Sounds fine for del_gendisk, but read_dev_sector which isn't mentioned
> here really is for partitioning.

Right, the next patch moves it to /block/partition.c, because all the
sysfs and driver core code really should not be below fs/.

If you want me to re reshuffle that, let me know. I was just annoyed
again, and after all these years I though it's time to move that stuff
around. :)

Thanks,
Kay
From: Kay Sievers on
On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 11:58, Christoph Hellwig <hch(a)infradead.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 11:56:56AM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
>> > Sounds fine for del_gendisk, but read_dev_sector which isn't mentioned
>> > here really is for partitioning.
>>
>> Right, the next patch moves it to /block/partition.c, because all the
>> sysfs and driver core code really should not be below fs/.
>>
>> If you want me to re reshuffle that, let me know. I was just annoyed
>> again, and after all these years I though it's time to move that stuff
>> around. :)
>
> So then please keep read_dev_sector in the file where it is right now,
> and just move the whole directory from fs/partitions/ to
> block/partitions.  While you're at it fs/bio.c and fs/block_dev.c
> really belong into block/, too.  The latter could also need some split
> up.

Hehe, the usual thing: "If you want that, fix all of it." :)

Are you sure, that partition formats don't belong in fs/? It's kinda
specific on-disk-layout like a fs, and I would have no problem with
that staying in fs/.

Kay