From: Harry Seldon on
Hi,

I am using rubyinstaller-1.8.6-p383-rc1.exe .

When I install bluecloth (gem install bluecloth), I get:
ERROR: Error installing bluecloth:

C:/Ruby1.8.6/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
checking for srand()... no
checking for srandom()... no
checking for random()... no
checking for rand()... no
checking for strcasecmp()... no
checking for stricmp()... no
This extension requires either strcasecmp() or stricmp()
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.

Using the binary gem from
http://deveiate.org/code/bluecloth-2.0.5-x86-mingw32.gem
leads to the same problem as the one described in
http://www.deveiate.org/projects/BlueCloth/ticket/59 .
In the binary gem the file bluecloth_ext.so is missing. Does someone
have it?

Basically the advice given by Lui Kore looks really relevant. Indeed in
C:\Ruby1.8.6\lib\ruby\1.8\i386-mingw32\win32\win32.h the lines
#define strcasecmp(s1, s2) stricmp(s1, s2)
#define strncasecmp(s1, s2, n) strnicmp(s1, s2, n)
seem at fault.
I'd like to change them to
#define strcasecmp(s1, s2) _stricmp(s1, s2)
#define strncasecmp(s1, s2, n) _strnicmp(s1, s2, n)

But then, how can these lines be taken into account. How can they be
compiled?

Thx
Happy Holidays

From: Luis Lavena on
On Dec 24, 5:57 pm, Harry Seldon <harry.seldo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using rubyinstaller-1.8.6-p383-rc1.exe .
>
> When I install bluecloth (gem install bluecloth), I get:
> Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
> ERROR:  Error installing bluecloth:
>         ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>
> C:/Ruby1.8.6/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
> checking for srand()... no
> checking for srandom()... no
> checking for random()... no
> checking for rand()... no
> checking for strcasecmp()... no
> checking for stricmp()... no
> This extension requires either strcasecmp() or stricmp()
> *** extconf.rb failed ***
> Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
> necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
> details.  You may need configuration options.
>
> Using the binary gem from http://deveiate.org/code/bluecloth-2.0.5-x86-mingw32.gem
> leads to the same problem as the one described inhttp://www.deveiate.org/projects/BlueCloth/ticket/59.
> In the binary gem the file bluecloth_ext.so is missing. Does someone
> have it?

The gem is broken, I've responded to this before over RubyInstaller
group:

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyinstaller/browse_thread/thread/59f3812381a195b5

That includes instruction and patch for the future.

--
Luis Lavena
From: Harry Seldon on
Thx Luis!

To sum up:
Install the devkit available at http://rubyinstaller.org/
then gem install bluecloth --platform=ruby