From: dreammaker on

I would like my laptop to boot from an external drive until I can
replace the internal drive.
can you tell me how to boot from my external drive?

--
dreammaker
dreammaker's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/239786.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: John John - MVP on
dreammaker wrote:
> I would like my laptop to boot from an external drive until I can
> replace the internal drive.
> can you tell me how to boot from my external drive?

What kind of external drive? USB? eSata? Firewire?

John
From: Bruce Chambers on
dreammaker wrote:
> I would like my laptop to boot from an external drive until I can
> replace the internal drive.
> can you tell me how to boot from my external drive?

WinXP is specifically designed *NOT* to boot from an external drive,
although it can be "fooled" into doing so from an eSATA drive, because
WinXP "assumes" that any SATA drive is internal.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: Shenan Stanley on
dreammaker wrote:
> I would like my laptop to boot from an external drive until I can
> replace the internal drive.
> can you tell me how to boot from my external drive?

USB? Unlikely - even if some of the methods workd for XP - by the time you
got it setup you'd hopefully have your new internal hard drive and either
have set it up from scratch or cloned/imaged it from your old system.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP