From: Mark Olbert on
I'm getting an error message about make not being able to find the necessary bits to build modules related to _dbm. Yet I have
libgdbm installed installed on my system. Suggestions on how to fix this?

- Mark
From: James Mills on
On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Mark Olbert
<ChairmanMAO(a)newsgroups.nospam> wrote:
> I'm getting an error message about make not being able to find the necessary bits to build modules related to _dbm. Yet I have
> libgdbm installed installed on my system. Suggestions on how to fix this?

You need the development C headers for
gdbm. If you're using a Debian-based system
try something like:

$ apt-get install gdbm-dev

cheers
James
From: Mark Olbert on
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 15:51:26 +1000, James Mills <prologic(a)shortcircuit.net.au> wrote:

>On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Mark Olbert
><ChairmanMAO(a)newsgroups.nospam> wrote:
>> I'm getting an error message about make not being able to find the necessary bits to build modules related to _dbm. Yet I have
>> libgdbm installed installed on my system. Suggestions on how to fix this?
>
>You need the development C headers for
>gdbm. If you're using a Debian-based system
>try something like:
>
>$ apt-get install gdbm-dev
>
>cheers
>James

Okay. But I compiled & installed gdbm from source obtained from the gnu archive, so I presume the necessary files would be included
(this is on a linux system).

- Mark
From: James Mills on
On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 3:00 AM, Mark Olbert
<ChairmanMAO(a)newsgroups.nospam> wrote:
> Okay. But I compiled & installed gdbm from source obtained from the gnu archive, so I presume the necessary files would be included
> (this is on a linux system).

Perhaps check where gdbm has installed it's development sources
and whether or not the python build scripts can pick it up ? (./configure)

Also maybe check ./configure options (maybe you're system is different) ?

Without knowing more about your system I can't offer any further useful advise.

--james
From: Mark Olbert on
James,

Thanks for the advice.

I looked at the contents of a gdbm-devel package on the web, and compared it, file by file, to my system.

I noticed that the online package had three files:

/usr/include/gdbm/dbm.h
/usr/include/gdbm/gdbm.h
/usr/include/gdbm/ndbm.h

which on my system are installed in the "root" of /usr/include:

/usr/include/dbm.h
/usr/include/gdbm.h
/usr/include/ndbm.h

So as a test I created a subdirectory /usr/include/gdbm and made symbolic links in the subdirectory back to those "root" include
files. That allowed the Python make script to find the "necessary bits" for building gdbm support.

What's interesting is that I didn't do anything funky when I built the gdbm libraries. Pretty much a configure/make/make install. So
I suspect I may not be the only one encountering this problem.

Do you know how I can report this issue to the developers so that the Python build script can be modified to look for the gdbm files
in /usr/include?

- Mark