From: Rajinder Yadav on
Rilindo Foster wrote:
> You can try to add the path to your current gems:
>
> export PATH=/var/lib/gems/1.8/bin:$PATH
> See:

unfortunately that doesn't seem to fix the issue

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RubyOnRails#Installing RubyGems
>
> On Dec 26, 2009, at 11:22 PM, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>
>> Phillip Gawlowski wrote:

>>> http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/3
>>> You need to install RubyGems.
>>> --
>>> Phillip Gawlowski
>> I already had gems installed? are you telling me I got to repeat the entire process to install gem and then all the gem packages?
>>
>> yadav(a)KubuntuX64:$ gem list
>>
>> *** LOCAL GEMS ***
>>
>> actionmailer (2.3.5)
>> actionpack (2.3.5)
>> activerecord (2.3.5)
(truncalted)

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav

http://DevMentor.org

Do Good! - Share Freely

From: Rajinder Yadav on
Phillip Gawlowski wrote:
> On 27.12.2009 05:22, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>
>> I already had gems installed? are you telling me I got to repeat the
>> entire process to install gem and then all the gem packages?
>
> Apparently, if your compiled-from source Ruby cannot find "rubygems". ;)
>
> Most likely, installing RubyGems should be enough.
>
> How did you remove Ruby? Using apt-get? Which options? Or by other means?

sudo aptitude remove ruby

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav

http://DevMentor.org

Do Good! - Share Freely

From: Rajinder Yadav on
Rilindo Foster wrote:
> You can try to add the path to your current gems:
>
> export PATH=/var/lib/gems/1.8/bin:$PATH
> See:

is there another location rubygems can be install? I did an ls and found
the following entries. should there not be more stuff here bases on my
gem list showing??

yadav(a)KubuntuX64:$ ls -l
total 20
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 349 2009-11-30 02:36 gpgen
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 351 2009-11-30 02:49 mongrel_rails
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 338 2009-11-30 01:09 rackup
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 339 2009-11-30 01:09 rails
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 336 2009-11-30 01:08 rake

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RubyOnRails#Installing RubyGems
>
> On Dec 26, 2009, at 11:22 PM, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>
>> Phillip Gawlowski wrote:

>>> http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/3
>>> You need to install RubyGems.
>>> --
>>> Phillip Gawlowski
>> I already had gems installed? are you telling me I got to repeat the entire process to install gem and then all the gem packages?
>>
>> yadav(a)KubuntuX64:$ gem list
>>
>> *** LOCAL GEMS ***
>>
>> actionmailer (2.3.5)
>> actionpack (2.3.5)
>> activerecord (2.3.5)
(truncated)

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav

http://DevMentor.org

Do Good! - Share Freely

From: Phillip Gawlowski on
On 27.12.2009 05:50, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
> Phillip Gawlowski wrote:
>> On 27.12.2009 05:22, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>>
>>> I already had gems installed? are you telling me I got to repeat the
>>> entire process to install gem and then all the gem packages?
>>
>> Apparently, if your compiled-from source Ruby cannot find "rubygems". ;)
>>
>> Most likely, installing RubyGems should be enough.
>>
>> How did you remove Ruby? Using apt-get? Which options? Or by other means?
>
> sudo aptitude remove ruby

Right, I'm a little foggy here (It's been a while since I last touched
any from of *NIX).

However, it seems that you now have a rather curious state for your Ruby.

For one, Ruby is split into several packages (ruby, irb, ruby-dev,
libruby, ri; off the top of my head), and a couple of Ruby packages
exit, too, most famously RubyGems.

However, each distribution (more or less), tweaks their offered packages
to conform to the distribution's file system layout.

These tweaks are not necessarily identical to what a build from source
provides.

So, it seems that your Ruby install is in an inconsistent state, where
Ruby, and RubyGems don't "know" about each other, since they use
different directories.

A solution would be to do a "sudo aptitude remove ruby*" to remove
anything the distro installed, re-do "sudo make install" in your Ruby
source directory, and then install RubyGems and your desired gems (it
might be enough to monitor the filesystem, and see which directories
"make install" and the RubyGems install create, and to copy your gems
into this new directory.

Or:

You remove compiled-Ruby with the hopefully existing "make uninstall",
and then reinstall Ruby from Ubuntu's repositories, and hope that fixes
everything (it should).

Aside: A tool I found handy when installing from source is Checkinstall:
http://checkinstall.izto.org/ allowing to introduce software compiled
from source to a distribution's packet management system. :)

--
Phillip Gawlowski

From: Phillip Gawlowski on
On 27.12.2009 05:55, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
> Rilindo Foster wrote:
>> You can try to add the path to your current gems:
>>
>> export PATH=/var/lib/gems/1.8/bin:$PATH
>> See:
>
> is there another location rubygems can be install? I did an ls and found
> the following entries. should there not be more stuff here bases on my
> gem list showing??

As many possibilities as there are Linux distributions. ;)

Usually, it is "/[var|opt]/lib/ruby/1.8/gems/". The particulars depend
on your distribution.

--
Phillip Gawlowski

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last