From: Manohar Akula on
I'm trying to build ruby 1.9.2 rc2 on windows 7. When I run
configure.bat it aborts with the following message.
cl -nologo -MD rtname.c user32.lib -link > nul
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

I find that the file 'rtname.c' does not exist anywhere within the
source files. And this is why cl aborts.

I'm totally clueless as to what to do next. Searching for rtname.c on
google doesn't return anything.

From: Manohar Akula on
macrolet wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 09:13:48PM +0900, Manohar Akula wrote:
>> google doesn't return anything.
>> --
>>

> Were you using http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=167 ?

No, I used the source present here.
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/news/2010/07/11/ruby-1-9-2-rc2-is-released

From: Luis Lavena on
On Aug 10, 9:13 am, Manohar Akula <manohar.ak...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to build ruby 1.9.2 rc2 on windows 7. When I run
> configure.bat it aborts with the following message.
> cl -nologo -MD rtname.c user32.lib -link > nul
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl' : return code '0x2'
> Stop.
>
> I find that the file 'rtname.c' does not exist anywhere within the
> source files. And this is why cl aborts.
>
> I'm totally clueless as to what to do next. Searching for rtname.c on
> google doesn't return anything.

If compilers are not your ground of expertise, I would suggest you
skip that and use a pre-compiled binary.

You can find 1.9.2-rc2 available under the experimental section of
RubyInstaller project at RubyForge:

http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyinstaller/

All these versions are compiled using GCC (MinGW) and work under 32
and 64bits OS.

You can build yourself from source also, using RubyInstaller building
recipes:

http://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/

Only pre-requisite is a working Ruby installation, which, ehem, you
can use again Ruby 1.8.7 or something from RubyInstaller download
page:

http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads

If you still want to play with Visual Studio, I would suggest you try
a checkout of ruby_1_9_2 branch since some MSVC issues has been fixed
since rc2

HTH,
--
Luis Lavena