From: Al Viro on
On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 10:04:07AM -0400, Prarit Bhargava wrote:
> Fix checkstack compile warning in get_next_block():
>
> lib/decompress_bunzip2.c: In function `get_next_block':
> lib/decompress_bunzip2.c:511: warning: the frame size of 1920 bytes is larger than 1024 bytes

> int dbufCount, nextSym, dbufSize, groupCount, selector,
> - i, j, k, t, runPos, symCount, symTotal, nSelectors,
> - byteCount[256];
> - unsigned char uc, symToByte[256], mtfSymbol[256], *selectors;
> + i, j, k, t, runPos, symCount, symTotal, nSelectors;
> + static int byteCount[256];
> + unsigned char uc, *selectors;
> + static unsigned char symToByte[256], mtfSymbol[256];
> unsigned int *dbuf, origPtr;

Um... Some details might be useful, starting with "why can't that function
be called from several processes at once"...
From: Prarit Bhargava on

On 05/22/2010 10:07 AM, Al Viro wrote:
> On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 10:04:07AM -0400, Prarit Bhargava wrote:
>
>> Fix checkstack compile warning in get_next_block():
>>
>> lib/decompress_bunzip2.c: In function `get_next_block':
>> lib/decompress_bunzip2.c:511: warning: the frame size of 1920 bytes is larger than 1024 bytes
>>

>> int dbufCount, nextSym, dbufSize, groupCount, selector,
>> - i, j, k, t, runPos, symCount, symTotal, nSelectors,
>> - byteCount[256];
>> - unsigned char uc, symToByte[256], mtfSymbol[256], *selectors;
>> + i, j, k, t, runPos, symCount, symTotal, nSelectors;
>> + static int byteCount[256];
>> + unsigned char uc, *selectors;
>> + static unsigned char symToByte[256], mtfSymbol[256];
>> unsigned int *dbuf, origPtr;
>>
> Um... Some details might be useful, starting with "why can't that function
> be called from several processes at once"...

Al, to be honest, I'm not 100% if this is single-threaded or not :/. I
was hoping that by throwing the patch out I would get either an ACK or a
NAK on it because of the single threaded issue. It seems to me (and I
admit I might be totally wrong) that the bunzip2 function is only called
during early boot,

#ifdef PREBOOT
STATIC int INIT decompress(unsigned char *buf, int len,
int(*fill)(void*, unsigned int),
int(*flush)(void*, unsigned int),
unsigned char *outbuf,
int *pos,
void(*error_fn)(char *x))
{
return bunzip2(buf, len - 4, fill, flush, outbuf, pos, error_fn);
}
#endif

.... which (again, if the assumptions I'm making are correct) means that
only one cpu will be active.

/me hopes someone will correct him if he's wrong and that's why hpa and
phillip are cc'd directly

If it isn't single threaded, then you're right -- a PREBOOT malloc is
the way to go.

P.