From: tran on
helf me!

Rober wrote:

Remove Downloaded Installation File
28-Nov-07

I switched my WinXPSP2 automatic updates to notify me of available updates
but NOT to automatically download or install them. However, I was too late
in making the change before the IE7 update downloaded and now I keep getting
a balloon message near my clock that says IE 7 has been downloaded and is
ready to be installed. I do not want IE 7 on my system.

Please tell me how I can get rid of that IE 7 download that is ready for
installation, so that the balloon message will no longer appear. Thanks.

On Wednesday, November 28, 2007 11:49 AM
Rober wrote:

Remove Downloaded Installation File
I switched my WinXPSP2 automatic updates to notify me of available updates
but NOT to automatically download or install them. However, I was too late
in making the change before the IE7 update downloaded and now I keep getting
a balloon message near my clock that says IE 7 has been downloaded and is
ready to be installed. I do not want IE 7 on my system.

Please tell me how I can get rid of that IE 7 download that is ready for
installation, so that the balloon message will no longer appear. Thanks.

On Wednesday, November 28, 2007 1:14 PM
PA Bear wrote:

Re: Remove Downloaded Installation File
1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

3. Go to Windows Update website & scan for updates (Custom) > Uncheck IE7
and "hide" it.

4. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Robert wrote:

On Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:18 PM
Dave Horne wrote:

PA Bear, I read the same set of instruction in a MSKB document and have a
PA Bear, I read the same set of instruction in a MSKB document and have a
question.

You and that document state to delete the _download_ folder but then give
instructions to delete the SoftwareDistribution folder.

To be clear, is the Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder to be
deleted? Thanks, DH

"PA Bear" <PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

On Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:55 PM
Dave Horne wrote:

Never mind ... I was tired. I see it _was_ the Download folder.
Never mind ... I was tired. I see it _was_ the Download folder. DH

On Wednesday, November 28, 2007 8:04 PM
PA Bear wrote:

What KB article?
What KB article?

My instructions pertain only to Robert's specific question, and I'm only
having him delete the *contents* of %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download
<=this folder.

Deleting %windir%\SoftwareDistribution <=this folder might accomplish the
same thing but it has the consequence of removing everything in Update
History at Windows Update website.
--
~PA Bear

Dave Horne wrote:

On Wednesday, November 28, 2007 8:32 PM
Dave Horne wrote:

Re: Remove Downloaded Installation File
This one ...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=910336

On Wednesday, November 28, 2007 8:49 PM
PA Bear wrote:

Re: Remove Downloaded Installation File
Dave Horne wrote:

Different fix for a different problem.

On Thursday, November 29, 2007 3:30 AM
Robert Aldwinckle wrote:

Re: Remove Downloaded Installation File
"PA Bear" <PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

The WUAU Help suggests it could be simpler than this,
especially for this update, e.g., assuming there is an EULA
associated with installing IE7, as I think there is.

But I thought that there was also a way, e.g. using the Custom
button and checkboxes of just "declining" any update which is
downloaded. At one point that actually deleted the download too
(so you didn't have to keep using the Custom button and making
sure that unchecked downloads stayed unchecked. (In fact, I found
that particular "feechur" more annoying than helpful when I wanted to
try installing one update at a time, for example. <w>)
I haven't experimented with it lately to know if that feature has
been changed but it's unclear anyway whether the OP has even
tried to use it. Would it really keep prompting you to install something
that you had already declined? I'm dubious but can't test right now.

FYI

Robert
---

On Thursday, November 29, 2007 10:32 PM
Rober wrote:

Re: Remove Downloaded Installation File
Thanks PA Bear. Worked like a charm!

Robert

"PA Bear" wrote:

On Friday, November 30, 2007 2:23 PM
PA Bear wrote:

Re: Remove Downloaded Installation File
YW, Robert, and thank you very much for your feedback!
--
~PA Bear

Robert wrote:

On Thursday, May 07, 2009 3:20 AM
sabar_ullash wrote:

saudi arabia
You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page.

Crypto Obfuscator for .NET - Product Review
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/bf15c41b-6510-403e-9af8-f5fd987fafb1/crypto-obfuscator-for-ne.aspx
From: Shenan Stanley on
tran tien wrote:
> helf me!

I could assume that is a typo (help) but the "P" is not exactly close to the
"F". ;-)

Even if I assume that is a typo and a plea for "help" - help you with what?

The conversation you chose to respond to:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/8b1c2139f093473b/
.... ended on November 30th, 2007. It is not May 1, 2010. 883 days; 2
years, 5 months and 1 day have passed since the conversation you tacked onto
*ended*.

What were you expecteding from that conversation addition?

If you have an issue - a problem - please begin your own post and explain
your problem. I somehow doubt that your problem is the same as the original
posters - but I am willing to find out...

Did you recently, "switch [your] Win[dows] XP SP2 automatic updates to
notify [you] of available updates but NOT to automatically download or
install them"?

Was, " IE 7 ... downloaded and ... ready to be installed" and "[You] do not
want IE 7 on [your] system"?

Do you want to, "get rid of that IE 7 download that is ready for
installation, so that the balloon message will no longer appear"?

If that is not a description of your issue - my suggestion is the same as it
was earlier...

Please begin a new post and describe your problem. Include pertinent
details, like...

- Operating System you are running.
- Service Pack level of said operating system.
- Architecture (32-bit or 64-bit) of said operating system.

- Internet Explorer version you have installed.

- Your description of what the issue is.

- Any error messages/etc that you get word-for-word.

- What antivirus software you are running and if any others have ever been
installed on your system?

- What antimalware software have you recently scanned your system with?

- What else have you done in order to repair the issue?

- What *changed* between the system working/not working as you expected?
Did you install anything new? Use any new tools? Add any new
hardware/peripherals? Visit any new web pages? Install any new updates?
Uninstall anything?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
On 2010-05-02 1:35 a.m., Shenan Stanley wrote:

> I could assume that is a typo (help) but the "P" is not exactly close to the
> "F". ;-)

They look similar, though. My guess would be a handwriting-recognition input
device. (Although F and P are only two keys apart on a DVORAK keyboard, so I
suppose that's a possibility.)

Harry.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com
From: Tom Willett on
Use a time machine to take you back to 2007 so you can meet the person whose
old thread you hijacked and replied to.
<tran tien> wrote in message news:20105184714tranvantien09cdck2(a)gmail.com...
: helf me!
:
:
:
:
:
: PA Bear wrote:
:
[...]
: --
: ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
: MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
:
:
: Dave Horne wrote:
:
: Never mind ... I was tired. I see it _was_ the Download folder.
: Never mind ... I was tired. I see it _was_ the Download folder. DH
:
: On Wednesday, November 28, 2007 8:04 PM
: PA Bear wrote:
:
: What KB article?
: What KB article?
:
: Dave Horne wrote:
:
: On Wednesday, November 28, 2007 8:32 PM
: Dave Horne wrote:
:
: Re: Remove Downloaded Installation File
: This one ...
:
:
:
: Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
:
: Re: Remove Downloaded Installation File
: "PA Bear" <PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
: news:u6QJ8yeMIHA.1208(a)TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl
: ...
:
:
:
:
[...]
: ---
:
:
:
:
:
: sabar_ullash wrote:
:
: saudi arabia
: You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or
becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page.
:
:
: Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice