From: aaronep on
I presently have Windows 7 installed on my primary internal hard
drive. Unfortunately, there are some applications that I wish to use
that will not work with Windows 7, but will work with Windows XP.

Is it possible to install Windows XP on a separate USB hard drive and
then , when computer boots up, instruct the computer to access the usb
hard drive only, that has XP installed?

Also, when I wish to operate Windows 7, upon startup, instruct
computer to access only the internal hard drive that has Windows 7
installed?

This procedure sounds logical to me, but I am posting this question as
I do not want to go ahead and then screw up my system.

best, Aaron
From: Dan on

<aaronep(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message
> I presently have Windows 7 installed on my primary internal hard
> drive. Unfortunately, there are some applications that I wish to use
> that will not work with Windows 7, but will work with Windows XP.
>
> Is it possible to install Windows XP on a separate USB hard drive and
> then , when computer boots up, instruct the computer to access the usb
> hard drive only, that has XP installed?
>
> Also, when I wish to operate Windows 7, upon startup, instruct
> computer to access only the internal hard drive that has Windows 7
> installed?
>
> This procedure sounds logical to me, but I am posting this question as
> I do not want to go ahead and then screw up my system.
>
> best, Aaron

Can you not just use the XP Mode for Windows 7?
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/windows-xp-mode.aspx

--
Dan

From: Mike on
"Dan" <news(a)worldofspack.com> wrote in message

> <aaronep(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> I presently have Windows 7 installed on my primary internal hard
>> drive. Unfortunately, there are some applications that I wish to use
>> that will not work with Windows 7, but will work with Windows XP.
>>
>> Is it possible to install Windows XP on a separate USB hard drive and
>> then , when computer boots up, instruct the computer to access the usb
>> hard drive only, that has XP installed?
>>
>> Also, when I wish to operate Windows 7, upon startup, instruct
>> computer to access only the internal hard drive that has Windows 7
>> installed?
>>
>> This procedure sounds logical to me, but I am posting this question as
>> I do not want to go ahead and then screw up my system.
>>
>> best, Aaron
>
> Can you not just use the XP Mode for Windows 7?
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/windows-xp-mode.aspx
>
> --
> Dan
Provided the user has Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate.
Mike