From: Chengj on
Hi

take a short code as example,the code calculate the product
of two real numbers
$cat in
2
5
$exec <in >out 2>&1
$cat out
please input the first real number:
please input the second real number:
the product is: 10

but i want the file out should be read
$cat out
please input the first real number: 2
please input the second real number: 5
the product is: 10

i.e. i want duplicate stdin simultaneously after each input, is that
possible?

From: Barry Margolin on
In article <i1n0s9$2193$1(a)adenine.netfront.net>,
"Chengj" <guan-junchen(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> take a short code as example,the code calculate the product
> of two real numbers
> $cat in
> 2
> 5
> $exec <in >out 2>&1

Is there supposed to be something here that runs the program that
displays those prompts and calculates the product?

> $cat out
> please input the first real number:
> please input the second real number:
> the product is: 10
>
> but i want the file out should be read
> $cat out
> please input the first real number: 2
> please input the second real number: 5
> the product is: 10
>
> i.e. i want duplicate stdin simultaneously after each input, is that
> possible?

Use "script" to capture an entire session.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar(a)alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: Chen g j on
"Barry Margolin" <barmar(a)alum.mit.edu>
:barmar-42A0FD.20393615072010(a)reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated.example.com...
> In article <i1n0s9$2193$1(a)adenine.netfront.net>,
> "Chengj" <guan-junchen(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> take a short code as example,the code calculate the product
>> of two real numbers
>> $cat in
>> 2
>> 5
>> $exec <in >out 2>&1
>
> Is there supposed to be something here that runs the program that
> displays those prompts and calculates the product?
Yes

>> $cat out
>> please input the first real number:
>> please input the second real number:
>> the product is: 10
>>
>> but i want the file out should be read
>> $cat out
>> please input the first real number: 2
>> please input the second real number: 5
>> the product is: 10
>>
>> i.e. i want duplicate stdin simultaneously after each input, is that
>> possible?
>
> Use "script" to capture an entire session.

Hi, Thank you!!

When i run the "exec" interactively, the "script" captures the contents
that display to screen, including the input from keyboard.
But when i run the "exec" by redirecting the "stdin" to file
"in", the input can not be displayed to screen(i use fedora 5), thus, it
seems the "script" doesn't work for this situation.

now i have a batch bash script that runs many (Fortran) programs one by one,
and each individual program is feeded from a "in" file,
i cannot run the batch script interactively from keyboard input,
so, have any suggestions for me?

sorry for my poor english.

From: Barry Margolin on
In article <i1osg9$l7$1(a)www.shinco.com>,
"Chen g j" <guan-junchen(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Barry Margolin" <barmar(a)alum.mit.edu>
> :barmar-42A0FD.20393615072010(a)reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated.example.c
> om...
> > In article <i1n0s9$2193$1(a)adenine.netfront.net>,
> > "Chengj" <guan-junchen(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> take a short code as example,the code calculate the product
> >> of two real numbers
> >> $cat in
> >> 2
> >> 5
> >> $exec <in >out 2>&1
> >
> > Is there supposed to be something here that runs the program that
> > displays those prompts and calculates the product?
> Yes
>

> >> $cat out
> >> please input the first real number:
> >> please input the second real number:
> >> the product is: 10
> >>
> >> but i want the file out should be read
> >> $cat out
> >> please input the first real number: 2
> >> please input the second real number: 5
> >> the product is: 10
> >>
> >> i.e. i want duplicate stdin simultaneously after each input, is that
> >> possible?
> >
> > Use "script" to capture an entire session.
>
> Hi, Thank you!!
>
> When i run the "exec" interactively, the "script" captures the contents
> that display to screen, including the input from keyboard.
> But when i run the "exec" by redirecting the "stdin" to file
> "in", the input can not be displayed to screen(i use fedora 5), thus, it
> seems the "script" doesn't work for this situation.
>
> now i have a batch bash script that runs many (Fortran) programs one by one,
> and each individual program is feeded from a "in" file,
> i cannot run the batch script interactively from keyboard input,
> so, have any suggestions for me?

You're right, I was confused. "script" captures terminal input and
output, not program input and output.

I don't think there's any built-in way to do what you want. I think
there might be a way to do it by writing an "expect" script that feeds
the data to the program.