From: vj on
On Feb 25, 8:07 am, Andy <1...(a)2.3> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 18:18:49 -0800 (PST), vj <vijayjany...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> You are attempting to transfer part of a partition from one partition to
> >> another. I must be UNalocated from the extended parition in which it
> >> resides before the space can be added to the primary partition.
>
> >Dear Bob,
> >Thankyou for your reply.
> >I tried as per your suggestions. This is what i did: In the Disk
> >Management window, i deleted the partition I:, which now shows as a
> >'Free Space' represented by light green color. When i turn to BootIT
> >NG, i expect that i should be able to 'slide' the J: drive above the
> >'free space I:' shown above it, so that free space comes after it and
> >i can combine after it. However, the slide operation doesn't work,
> >because 'space after' option, which is expected to show 5.8 GB is
> >showing 0 GB and i can't change it.
>
> >Also, I notice that D:, E: and I: are enclosed by a dark green
> >rectangle (meaning Extended Partition) in Disk Mgmt window. Is this
> >causing the problem?
>
> >Thankyou
> >VJ
> >ps: If there is a way to upload attachments in this newsgroup, pl let
> >me know so that I can upload a snapshot of the situation.
>
> Delete partitions I and J.
> If you want the combined partition to be primary, shrink the extended
> partition, and create a new primary partition in the unallocated
> space..
> If you want the combined partition to be logical, extend the extended
> partition over the unallocated space and create a new logical volume.

Thanks Andy.
I deleted I: and J:, now having an unallocated space. But how do I
extend the extended partition to cover this free space? I would
appreciate a step by step procedure (since I am not an expert user of
such things), and whether to be done usinf Diskmgmt.msc or BootIt NG.
As soon as I format the free space, I get a new partition, but I wish
to extend the existing partition to cover this.

Thanks
VJ
From: philo on
vj wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a single hard disk of capacity about 150 GB. I am on Windows
> XP.
>
> I have partitions as C: (64.46 GB), D: (29.29 GB), E: (23.43 GB), J:
> (5.86 GB) and I: (26.01 GB). I want to combine the last two partitions
> I: and J: into a single entity. Both these are empty (i.e. have no
> data, and I am ready to format these if need be, in fact I have just
> formatted them using Disk Management feature of WinXP).
>
> I am trying to use BootItNG to combine these two. I have used basic
> features of BootItNG before also many times for such work as sliding
> the partition, resizing etc (but still I can't say I am an expert in
> this type of work and haven't used advanced features of BootitNG).
> However, this time I can't understand why BootItNG is not working the
> way I want, or where I am wrong.
>
> I am reproducing below a snapshot of the BootIT NG screen and also
> that of Disk Management to facilitate explaining the situation (I wish
> I could upload an attachment containg a picture of the screen, but I
> think attachments are not possible in this newsgroup). Here is what
> Bootit NG partition manager window reads:
>
> MBR Entry 0 Partition 66002 MB HPFS/NTFS
> MBR Entry 1 Partition 59993 MB Extended
> unnamed Volume 29996 MB HPFS/NTFS
> unnamed Volume 23994 MB HPFS/NTFS
> unnamed Volume 6002 MB HPFS/NTFS
> MBR Entry 2 Partition 26630 MB HPFS/NTFS
>

> and here is what the Disk Management window says:
>
> Disk 0 (C:) (D:) (E:)
> NewVolume(I:) NewVolume(J:)
> Basic 64.46 GB NTFS 29.29. GB NTFS 23.43 GB NTFS 5.86 GB NTFS
> 26.01 GB NTFS
> 149.05 GB Healthy(System) Healthy Healthy Healthy Healthy
> Online
>
> Please help what steps should be followed in BootIt NG to achieve the
> task.
>
> Thankyou
> VJ

Since both partitions are empty

simply use disk management to delete them

then take the free space and create one partition
From: Andy on
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 19:59:39 -0800 (PST), vj <vijayjanyani(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Feb 25, 8:07�am, Andy <1...(a)2.3> wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 18:18:49 -0800 (PST), vj <vijayjany...(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> >Dear Bob,
>> >Thankyou for your reply.
>> >I tried as per your suggestions. This is what i did: In the Disk
>> >Management window, i deleted the partition I:, which now shows as a
>> >'Free Space' represented by light green color. When i turn to BootIT
>> >NG, i expect that i should be able to 'slide' the J: drive above the
>> >'free space I:' shown above it, so that free space comes after it and
>> >i can combine after it. However, the slide operation doesn't work,
>> >because 'space after' option, which is expected to show 5.8 GB is
>> >showing 0 GB and i can't change it.
>>
>> >Also, I notice that D:, E: and I: are enclosed by a dark green
>> >rectangle (meaning Extended Partition) in Disk Mgmt window. Is this
>> >causing the problem?
>>
>> >Thankyou
>> >VJ
>> >ps: If there is a way to upload attachments in this newsgroup, pl let
>> >me know so that I can upload a snapshot of the situation.
>>
>> Delete partitions I and J.
>> If you want the combined partition to be primary, shrink the extended
>> partition, and create a new primary partition in the unallocated
>> space..
>> If you want the combined partition to be logical, extend the extended
>> partition over the unallocated space and create a new logical volume.
>
>Thanks Andy.
>I deleted I: and J:, now having an unallocated space. But how do I
>extend the extended partition to cover this free space? I would
>appreciate a step by step procedure (since I am not an expert user of
>such things), and whether to be done usinf Diskmgmt.msc or BootIt NG.
>As soon as I format the free space, I get a new partition, but I wish
>to extend the existing partition to cover this.
>
>Thanks
>VJ
Disk Management can't do it. I'm not familiar with Bootit NG, but
looking at the screen shots at
<http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation-ss.htm>, use
the Resize Partition function.
From: Bill Blanton on
On 2/24/2010 22:59, vj wrote:
> On Feb 25, 8:07 am, Andy<1...(a)2.3> wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 18:18:49 -0800 (PST), vj<vijayjany...(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> Delete partitions I and J.
>> If you want the combined partition to be primary, shrink the extended
>> partition, and create a new primary partition in the unallocated
>> space..
>> If you want the combined partition to be logical, extend the extended
>> partition over the unallocated space and create a new logical volume.
>
> Thanks Andy.
> I deleted I: and J:, now having an unallocated space. But how do I
> extend the extended partition to cover this free space? I would
> appreciate a step by step procedure (since I am not an expert user of
> such things), and whether to be done usinf Diskmgmt.msc or BootIt NG.
> As soon as I format the free space, I get a new partition, but I wish
> to extend the existing partition to cover this.

As Andy said, you want to resize the partition, Specifically the
extended partition.
MBR Entry 1 Partition 59993 MB Extended

Then create a new partition in the the now combined free space. Extended
partitions are containers for logical drives (partitions/volumes).