From: Ron Patterson on
Suddenly, all the .jpg files in My Pictures and elsewhere will not open
because the computer cannot find them. I get an error message

"Windows cannot find 'C:\Documents and Settings\my name\My Documents\My
Pictures\file name.jpg. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try
again. To search for a file, click on the Start button, and then click
Search."

Now, when I click on the Start button and then click Search and search for
..jpg - I find 784 files. But of course I can't open any of them.

Help

Ron

From: "Don Schmidt" Don on
Irfanview, version 4.25 is an excellent free program that will open most all
image files. It is able to, resize, crop, save to many, many formats, make
icons, with or without transparencies and a host of other functions. Worth
a tryout.

http://www.irfanview.com/

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

From: Don Phillipson on
"Ron Patterson" <a.baba(a)mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Suddenly, all the .jpg files in My Pictures and elsewhere will not open
> because the computer cannot find them. I get an error message
> "Windows cannot find 'C:\Documents and Settings\my name\My Documents\My
> Pictures\file name.jpg . . . "

1. Theory: this is a failure of "File Association" i.e. a Registry item
that links an Application (picture viewer function) to a File Type
(JPG and perhaps other image filetypes as well.) File
Association is documented in your Help system.

2. Practice:
-- Select a suitable App. IrfanView is the best, although WindowsXP
has its own image viewer as well.
-- Select a test file, i.e. highlight any JPG icon with Right Click.
-- From the Right Click menu select the function OPEN WITH
and then select the App you prefer; if it does not appear in the
list you can /Browse to locate it in /Program Files.
-- Leave unchecked the box ALWAYS USE THIS . . .
-- Select OK (Left click) to test opening your selected JPG with
the selected App.

If the viewer displays the image file to your satisfaction, repeat
the process and this time check the box ALWAYS USE THIS . . .
This will add this particular File Association to your Registry
for automatic use thereafter.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

From: Daave on
Ron Patterson wrote:
> Suddenly, all the .jpg files in My Pictures and elsewhere will not
> open because the computer cannot find them. I get an error message
>
> "Windows cannot find 'C:\Documents and Settings\my name\My
> Documents\My Pictures\file name.jpg. Make sure you typed the name
> correctly and then try again. To search for a file, click on the
> Start button, and then click Search."
>
> Now, when I click on the Start button and then click Search and
> search for .jpg - I find 784 files. But of course I can't open any
> of them.
> Help

What happens when you open up other types of files from your My
Documents folder?

What is the malware status of your PC?