From: Dave on
Hello all, simple question:

as ROOT how can i remove this directory (command?):

w\'berg s?zeel

There is a \ backslash and a space in the dir name.
From: Grant on
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 03:48:49 -0700 (PDT), Dave <davefredriksz(a)casema.nl> wrote:

>Hello all, simple question:
>
>as ROOT how can i remove this directory (command?):
>
>w\'berg s?zeel
>
>There is a \ backslash and a space in the dir name.

Use tab completion, rmdir w<tab>

Grant.
--
http://bugsplatter.id.au
From: Jim on
On Sep 23, 6:48 am, Dave <davefredri...(a)casema.nl> wrote:
> Hello all, simple question:
>
> as ROOT how can i remove this directory (command?):
>
> w\'berg s?zeel
>
> There is a \ backslash and a space in the dir name.

Can you put the dirname in quotes when doing the rm, e.g.:
rm -rf "w\'berg s?zeel"
From: Dave on
On 23 sep, 13:54, Jim <shakahsha...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 23, 6:48 am, Dave <davefredri...(a)casema.nl> wrote:
>
> > Hello all, simple question:
>
> > as ROOT how can i remove this directory (command?):
>
> > w\'berg s?zeel
>
> > There is a \ backslash and a space in the dir name.
>
> Can you put the dirname in quotes when doing the rm, e.g.:
>   rm -rf "w\'berg s?zeel"

Someone else have done it for me, with this command:

rm -rf "w\'berg sézeel"

I don't know why the ? was replaced by the é but it is removed now.
From: Fred on
On Sep 23, 4:59 am, Dave <davefredri...(a)casema.nl> wrote:
> On 23 sep, 13:54, Jim <shakahsha...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sep 23, 6:48 am, Dave <davefredri...(a)casema.nl> wrote:
>
> > > Hello all, simple question:
>
> > > as ROOT how can i remove this directory (command?):
>
> > > w\'berg s?zeel
>
> > > There is a \ backslash and a space in the dir name.
>
> > Can you put the dirname in quotes when doing the rm, e.g.:
> >   rm -rf "w\'berg s?zeel"
>
> Someone else have done it for me, with this command:
>
> rm -rf  "w\'berg sézeel"
>
> I don't know why the ? was replaced by the é but it is removed now.

I have found that the easiest way to removefiles/directories that
contain special characters is to use rm -i and then answer
yes or no. So you could have used
rm -rfi *zeel

--
Fred K