From: Luis Lavena on
On Jan 28, 2:59 am, Johny ben <joh1...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> > If that is not the issue, try including the following information in
> > your report:
>
> > "gem env" output
> > "gem install gemname --debug -V" complete output.
>
> @luis lavena
>      Thank you for your reply.
>
> on my browser configuration
>    configure proxies to access the internet
>    no proxy server is enable
>
> I attached the output error I got running this command
>     gem env
>     gem install rails --debug -V
>
> Attachments:http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/4434/error.txt

Can you access this URL from your internet browser?

htttp://gems.rubyforge.org/yaml

If that doesn't work them something is blocking RubyGems servers from
your computer or network.

Looking at Windows errors for Sockets:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms740668(VS.85).aspx

WSAENOTCONN (10057) happens when you don't have an IP address or
someone (a firewall or an antivirus) is blocking you.

Please verify that none of these tools is locking RubyGems.

--
Luis Lavena
From: Johny ben on
> Can you access this URL from your internet browser?
>
> htttp://gems.rubyforge.org/yaml
>
> If that doesn't work them something is blocking RubyGems servers from
> your computer or network.
>
> Looking at Windows errors for Sockets:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms740668(VS.85).aspx
>
> WSAENOTCONN (10057) happens when you don't have an IP address or
> someone (a firewall or an antivirus) is blocking you.
>
> Please verify that none of these tools is locking RubyGems.

when I type this url on my browser
htttp://gems.rubyforge.org/yaml
I got an error
firefox doesn't know to open this address

my firewall is disable and I uninstall the antivirus

I got the same prob..

From: Luis Lavena on
On Jan 28, 9:53 am, Johny ben <joh1...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Can you access this URL from your internet browser?
>
> > htttp://gems.rubyforge.org/yaml
>
> > If that doesn't work them something is blocking RubyGems servers from
> > your computer or network.
>
> > Looking at Windows errors for Sockets:
>
> >http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms740668(VS.85).aspx
>
> > WSAENOTCONN (10057) happens when you don't have an IP address or
> > someone (a firewall or an antivirus) is blocking you.
>
> > Please verify that none of these tools is locking RubyGems.
>
> when I type this url on my browser
>   htttp://gems.rubyforge.org/yaml
> I got an error
>   firefox doesn't know to open this address

Perhaps you should try with one less "t" in HTTP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertext_Transfer_Protocol

> my firewall is disable and I uninstall the antivirus
>
> I got the same prob..

I'm running out of options in what could be the root of that error
you're getting.

Can you please try this in a irb session?

require 'net/http'
Net::HTTP.get_response(URI.parse("http://gems.rubyforge.org/yaml"))
Net::HTTP.get_response(URI.parse("http://production.s3.rubygems.org/
yaml"))

The first get_response should output something like this:
=> #<Net::HTTPFound 302 Found readbody=true>

And the second one:
=> #<Net::HTTPOK 200 OK readbody=true>

If you get an error there, then is something really wrong in your TCP/
IP configuration that blocking you out.

Will need more details about your OS version, if you have adding
privileges and what type of antivirus and firewall software you use.

--
Luis Lavena
From: Johny ben on
> The first get_response should output something like this:
> => #<Net::HTTPFound 302 Found readbody=true>
>
> And the second one:
> => #<Net::HTTPOK 200 OK readbody=true>
>
> If you get an error there, then is something really wrong in your TCP/
> IP configuration that blocking you out.
>
> Will need more details about your OS version, if you have adding
> privileges and what type of antivirus and firewall software you use.

I already saw the prob.I install rails on 3 different computer,2 got
successful result and 1 got an error.

Here the os info on the one that got an error
microsoft win xp pro
version 200,service pack 2

firewall is disabled
no antivrus installed

irb(main):001:0> require 'net/http'
=> true

From: Luis Lavena on
On Jan 29, 7:22 am, Johny ben <joh1...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> > The first get_response should output something like this:
> > => #<Net::HTTPFound 302 Found readbody=true>
>
> > And the second one:
> > => #<Net::HTTPOK 200 OK readbody=true>
>
> > If you get an error there, then is something really wrong in your TCP/
> > IP configuration that blocking you out.
>
> > Will need more details about your OS version, if you have adding
> > privileges and what type of antivirus and firewall software you use.
>
> I already saw the prob.I install rails on 3 different computer,2 got
> successful result and 1 got an error.

The 3 machines running the same Ruby version?
The 3 machines running the same OS and configuration?

> Here the os info on the one that got an error
>   microsoft win xp pro
>   version 200,service pack 2

I'm not sure about Windows 2000, haven't checked it, but I thought SP4
or something like that was the latest Service Pack, correct?

>   firewall is disabled
>   no antivrus installed
>
> irb(main):001:0> require 'net/http'
> => true
> <get_response(URI.parse("http://gems.rubyforge.org/yaml"))
> => #<Net::HTTPFound 302 Found readbody=true>
> <get_response(URI.parse("http://production.s3.rubygems.org/yaml"))
> => #<Net::HTTPOK 200 OK readbody=true>

So if that works, then the issue is something else.

ENOTCONN clearly indicates that could not establish a connection,
maybe slow TCP connection and not waiting the right amount of time.

Please open a ticket on RubyGems Bug Tracker, include "gem env" output
and the gem install --debug -V output too, so developers are able to
investigate it further:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=575&group_id=126&func=browse

Apologize for any inconvenience.

In the mean time, you can manually download all the related gems from
gemcutter:

http://gemcutter.org/

And manually install them from a command prompt.

--
Luis Lavena