From: Rudy Gevaert on

Dear Wietse,

On 06/14/2010 09:54 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
> Rudy Gevaert:
>> Thank you for your help Wietse!
>>
>> Quoting "Wietse Venema"<wietse(a)porcupine.org>:
>>
>>> It will not, because you have
>>>
>>> receive_override_options = no_address_mappings
>>
>> This of course explains it! I now figure that I need to put, several
>> times) the correct local_header_rewrite_clients into my master.cf ?
>> For the time being it is empty for each service.
>
> If you must rewrite headers then it is better done before the
> filters so that they see the "right" email addresses. Then you can
> have "local_header_rewrite_clients =" for the "after filter" SMTP
> daemons.

Thanks for your thorough help! I have a last question. If I would set
'receive_override_options=' before like you suggest, then I would also
virtual alias map expansion before my content filter. Thus expanding a
lot of aliases, and generating extra overhead in my content filters.
That was the reason why I set receive_override_options =
no_address_mappings' bover the filters.

It's ok if the content filter doesn't see the real addresses in our case.

Would you still advise me to do the rewriting after the filter?

Thanks in advance,

Rudy

From: Wietse Venema on
Rudy Gevaert:
> On 06/14/2010 09:54 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
> > Rudy Gevaert:
> >> Thank you for your help Wietse!

> >> This of course explains it! I now figure that I need to put, several
> >> times) the correct local_header_rewrite_clients into my master.cf ?
> >> For the time being it is empty for each service.
> >
> > If you must rewrite headers then it is better done before the
> > filters so that they see the "right" email addresses. Then you can
> > have "local_header_rewrite_clients =" for the "after filter" SMTP
> > daemons.
>
> Thanks for your thorough help! I have a last question. If I would set
> 'receive_override_options=' before like you suggest, then I would also
> virtual alias map expansion before my content filter. Thus expanding a
> lot of aliases, and generating extra overhead in my content filters.
> That was the reason why I set receive_override_options =
> no_address_mappings' bover the filters.
>
> It's ok if the content filter doesn't see the real addresses in our case.
>
> Would you still advise me to do the rewriting after the filter?

Before or after filter is a matter of preference and may even depend
on the specific filter license, but it's better to do it on one
side only. If the filter needs to see the original addresses,
rewrite/alias after the filter. If the filter needs to see the
final addresses, rewrite/alias before the filter.

Wietse