Prev: Float
Next: Tabs Using CSS1
From: GTalbot on
On 6 mai, 08:26, dorayme <dora...(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> 2. Style td and th (if latter is used) as margin:0; padding:0;

Dorayme,

margin is a property which does not apply to td and th.

regards, Gérard
From: GTalbot on
On 6 mai, 08:07, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<a.nony.m...(a)example.invalid> wrote:

> >> Does   td {margin: 0; padding: 0;}  work for you?

[snipped]

> .protocol td { margin: 0; padding: 0; }

Margin (and margin-top, margin-left, etc) are properties which do not
apply to td and th.

regards, Gérard
From: GTalbot on
On 7 mai, 23:15, "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorp...(a)cs.tut.fi> wrote:
> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> > You can have no spacing between the cells (as with cellspacing="0")
> > without collapsing the borders.  Necessary is only
>
> >  border-spacing: 0;
>
> How often do you want to get rid of spacing without collapsing borders? Any
> example of a page of yours where you have found that useful?
>
> Besides, you forgot to mention, or to check, that IE does not support the
> property except from version 8 (and only in "standards" mode there). So in
> practical authoring for the WWW, how useful is it?

Yukka,

Just to nuance what you are saying here.

IE browser market share has been steadily and consistently decreasing
in the last 5 years. And right now, IE8 is the most popular IE browser
version in use (in all countries and worldwide) with IE7 usage
dropping and IE6 usage dropping too in all countries.

If a lack of space between table borders is really something that will
break a webpage layout or be detrimental to access to content, then
yes, border-collapse: collapse should be preferred. But if the lack/
presenc of space between table borders is not detrimental and not
breaking the page (or detrimental to access to content), then I say
use border-spacing: 0. All that will be happening in IE7 is a 2px
border spacing (the default border spacing in IE7) between table
borders. No big deal as far as I'm concerned.

regards, Gérard
From: dorayme on
In article
<c5659166-3489-4d9b-827a-deca8937734e(a)u7g2000vbq.googlegroups.com
GTalbot <newsgroup(a)gtalbot.org> wrote:

> On 6 mai, 08:26, dorayme <dora...(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> > 2. Style td and th (if latter is used) as margin:0; padding:0;
>
> dorayme,
>
> margin is a property which does not apply to td and th.

Please keep this as it will become very valuable in years to come
as one of my rare mistakes. And thanks for pointing this out.

--
dorayme
First  |  Prev  |