From: Minchan Kim on
On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 11:15 PM, Christoph Lameter
<cl(a)linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010, Mel Gorman wrote:
>
>> alloc_pages_exact_node() avoids a branch in a hot path that is checking for
>> something the caller already knows. That's the reason it exists.
>
> We can avoid alloc_pages_exact_node() by making all callers of
> alloc_pages_node() never use -1. -1 is ambiguous and only rarely will a
> caller pass that to alloc_pages_node().

That's very reasonable to me.
Then, we can remove alloc_pages_exact_node and nid < 0 check in
alloc_pages_node at the same time.

Mel. Could you agree?

Firstly Tejun suggested this but I didn't got the point.
Sorry for bothering you.

Okay. I will dive into this approach.
Thanks for careful review, All.

--