From: george [dicegeorge] on
changed subject for experiemnt

will this thread with its ordinal title:
"Re using Thunderbird for Usenet"
or thread under its new subject name?

From: george [dicegeorge] on
In Thunderbird when I click the [Subject] column header
this message is filed alphabetically under subject:

its not grouped along with
"Re using Thunderbird for Usenet"
But, if I understand Graeme correctly,
in some newsreaders it will be grouped along with its initial subject name?

[g]

From: John Rumm on
On 25/05/2010 10:46, george [dicegeorge] wrote:
> In Thunderbird when I click the [Subject] column header
> this message is filed alphabetically under subject:
>
> its not grouped along with
> "Re using Thunderbird for Usenet"

It could be if you wanted...

> But, if I understand Graeme correctly,
> in some newsreaders it will be grouped along with its initial subject name?

If you click a column header then it will do a simple sort in order on
that column (click a second time for reverse order).

If you click on the "thread gadget" column header then it will thread
properly based on the message references.

However, by using options on the View | Sort By menu, you can also do
tricks like sort by any column of your choice, but also retain the
threaded nature. So sort by "received" with threading on, will pop a
thread to the end of the list each time a response to it is received.

--
Cheers,

John.

From: The Natural Philosopher on
george [dicegeorge] wrote:
> In Thunderbird when I click the [Subject] column header
> this message is filed alphabetically under subject:

In my thunderbid, its filed under the original thread, because I use

> its not grouped along with
> "Re using Thunderbird for Usenet"

It is here.

From: george [dicegeorge] on
John Rumm wrote:
> On 25/05/2010 10:46, george [dicegeorge] wrote:
>> In Thunderbird when I click the [Subject] column header
>> this message is filed alphabetically under subject:
>>
>> its not grouped along with
>> "Re using Thunderbird for Usenet"
>
> It could be if you wanted...
>
>> But, if I understand Graeme correctly,
>> in some newsreaders it will be grouped along with its initial subject
>> name?
>
> If you click a column header then it will do a simple sort in order on
> that column (click a second time for reverse order).
>
> If you click on the "thread gadget" column header then it will thread
> properly based on the message references.
>
> However, by using options on the View | Sort By menu, you can also do
> tricks like sort by any column of your choice, but also retain the
> threaded nature. So sort by "received" with threading on, will pop a
> thread to the end of the list each time a response to it is received.

Thanks - I hadnt noticed the Thunderbird thread gadget column before,
I can see it will be useful sometimes!

[g]