From: Tim Meddick on
I will go as far as to admit ALL what you have stated is correct - EXCEPT

The data contained within :
[HKU\.Default\Software]

....although these keys are NOT present in the loaded hive (ntuser.data)
from the "Default User" folder.

Nonetheless, they exist in [HKU\.Default\Software] and are transferred to
new profiles!

(e.g. the key [HKU\.Default\Software\AVG] does NOT exist in the "Default
User" hive but "miraculously" appears in new profiles!!!???)

That is what I merant when I said you were ignoring my statements.

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

From: ro1414 on
I just figured out the same issue on my computer.

Open Regedit.
Click on the local machine hive "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" then click File->Load
Hive. Browse to C:\Documents and Settings\Default User" and choose
"ntuser.dat". You can make a backup copy of the file prior to this if you
want to be safe.
The Default User folder is not shown by default so you will have to have
hidden files showing (Tools, Folder Options, View -> Show Hidden files and
folders).

Regedit will ask you to name the hive. Choose whatever you'd like ("temp
NTUSER" was my choice). Now navigate to
HKEY)LOCAL_MACHINE\temp_NTUSER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders].

Change the "Personal" key to whatever value you want (I.e. "D:\%USERNAME%")

Then navigate back to the top of that hive you just created so it is
highlighted and click File->Unload Hive.

Create a new user and see where their documents go. Just tried it in a VM
I'm running and it worked as required.

-Riley