From: Jeff Pritchard on
I've seen jRuby and IronRuby, and really want to use them since i really
really hate javascript and since so much of a modern web app winds up on
the client side…but none of the client-side ruby solutions I've found
will work on mobile devices.

Are there any? (even something that is much less complete or
performant?)

thanks,
jp

From: Joel VanderWerf on
Jeff Pritchard wrote:
> I've seen jRuby and IronRuby, and really want to use them since i really
> really hate javascript and since so much of a modern web app winds up on
> the client side…but none of the client-side ruby solutions I've found
> will work on mobile devices.
>
> Are there any? (even something that is much less complete or
> performant?)

have you seen rhomobile / rhodes?

You can't load scripts at run time, IIRC, but otherwise it's a ruby
interpreter.

From: David Masover on
On Friday, July 16, 2010 10:35:17 pm Jeff Pritchard wrote:
> I've seen jRuby and IronRuby, and really want to use them since i really
> really hate javascript

Do you really know JavaScript well enough to hate it? It's possible you're an
exception, but most people who hate JavaScript don't seem to know it
particularly well.

> none of the client-side ruby solutions I've found
> will work on mobile devices.

I know I've seen a few -- I definitely saw an irb prompt on Android at one
point:

http://blog.headius.com/2009/08/return-of-ruboto.html

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the iPad/iPhone developer
agreement now limit implementation languages to an Apple-sanctioned list?

http://daringfireball.net/2010/04/iphone_agreement_bans_flash_compiler

So there may well be an iPhone implementation of Ruby, but you'll likely be
violating the agreement, and I'd be very surprised if your app made it to the
App Store.

Of course, Rhomobile has a response:

http://rhomobile.com/2010/04/09/iphone-4-0-sdk-rules/

Having read both, I don't see how they can be -- the agreement says that apps
must be _originally_written_ in that list of languages, not that it must be
compiled with an approved compiler, which is what Rhomobile seems to think it
means. Even if Apple turned around and released a clarification, explicitly
allowing Rhodes, I don't think I'd trust them at this point.

So, if iPhone matters to you, do Web apps. If cross-platform matters to you,
do web apps. If you insist on Ruby on the client, do Android or Moblin.

From: Tony Arcieri on

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 12:46 AM, David Masover <ninja(a)slaphack.com> wrote:

> Do you really know JavaScript well enough to hate it? It's possible you're
> an
> exception, but most people who hate JavaScript don't seem to know it
> particularly well.

That's a pretty pretentious question to ask. But I'll bite.

Am I a JavaScript expert? But I know it fairly well. I could sit here and
prattle off a couple dozen things I hate about JavaScript, like the
practically broken coersion model, the inconsistent and likewise broken core
types, including inexplicable and useless box objects for those types and
mismatches between the literals and what core types they map to ([]
instanceof Array is true but "" instanceof String is false???), the need for
a JQuery jock strap to even make the language tolerable by masking away all
the bizarre gymnastics you'd otherwise have to do to get basic functionality
out of the language, etc etc.

But like... this is ruby-talk, and the guy wants to use Ruby instead of
JavaScript. I think you'll be extremely hard pressed to find anyone with
moderate level expertise in both languages who would disagree that Ruby is a
significantly better language than JavaScript.

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh! A Kudelski Brand

From: Jeff Pritchard on
Just to clarify…I was hoping there might be a universal replacement, not
a special case for some specific mobile platform.

Today I can make a web 2.0 rails app with gobs of yucky un-testable
javascript/jquery/prototype/ajax that will run anywhere/everywhere. It
will run on any desktop machine; any apple device; android; WP7; etc.

The problem with that approach is that a modern web 2.0 app has very
little rails. The rails part of it is quick and easy but amounts to
little more than a web service or the app's "back end". There are good
ways to do TDD for that part. Good tools, good plugins, lots of creamy
goodness all around.

Most of the development time though, is in getting a polished web 2.0
ajaxy UI stuck on the front of that. For this part (which, as I said,
is the long slow part) there is no universal ruby solution; there is no
good way to do TDD. jQuery and prototype are better than cranking all
your own javascript libraries, but they are not a GUI framework that
leads to a clean and standardized app (like rails does).

Sorry for whining. Just amazes me that so many years have gone by with
GOBS of stuff happening on the server side and NOTHING happening on the
client side to make web app development smooth and easy like server side
is.

thanks,
jp