From: David Mehler on
Hello,
I've got a form with two combo boxes, one for the month one for the
day. Both are required. I've got code that checks the post submission
to ensure neither is empty. My problem is that if a user does not
select anything in the combo boxes January first is sent, this i don't
want. If they haven't selected anything i'd like that to show as an
error.
Thanks.
Dave.
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 13:49 -0400, David Mehler wrote:

> Hello,
> I've got a form with two combo boxes, one for the month one for the
> day. Both are required. I've got code that checks the post submission
> to ensure neither is empty. My problem is that if a user does not
> select anything in the combo boxes January first is sent, this i don't
> want. If they haven't selected anything i'd like that to show as an
> error.
> Thanks.
> Dave.

Make the first item in the select list something like this:

<option value="0" selected="selected">-- select month --</option>

Then just check for the 0 value in PHP when the form is submitted.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Gerardo Benitez on
Hi Dave,

In general, you can validate this condition with javascript before to send
the form, and if some errors exist, the form is not submitted.

or validate the conditions in the server side with php.

Gerardo.
www.webseficientes.com.ar

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 12:57 -0300, Gerardo Benitez wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> In general, you can validate this condition with javascript before to send
> the form, and if some errors exist, the form is not submitted.
>
> or validate the conditions in the server side with php.
>
> Gerardo.
> www.webseficientes.com.ar
>

> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 2:49 PM, David Mehler <dave.mehler(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I've got a form with two combo boxes, one for the month one for the
> > day. Both are required. I've got code that checks the post submission
> > to ensure neither is empty. My problem is that if a user does not
> > select anything in the combo boxes January first is sent, this i don't
> > want. If they haven't selected anything i'd like that to show as an
> > error.
> > Thanks.
> > Dave.
> >
> > --

You should change that to 'and' instead of an 'or'. Javascript
validation is nice, but you should always validate everything on the
server too.

From: Gerardo Benitez on
your advice is welcome!

Gerardo
www.webseficientes.com.ar

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 1:01 PM, Ashley Sheridan <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk>wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 12:57 -0300, Gerardo Benitez wrote:
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> In general, you can validate this condition with javascript before to send
> the form, and if some errors exist, the form is not submitted.
>
> or validate the conditions in the server side with php.
>
> Gerardo.www.webseficientes.com.ar
>

> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 2:49 PM, David Mehler <dave.mehler(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I've got a form with two combo boxes, one for the month one for the
> > day. Both are required. I've got code that checks the post submission
> > to ensure neither is empty. My problem is that if a user does not
> > select anything in the combo boxes January first is sent, this i don't
> > want. If they haven't selected anything i'd like that to show as an
> > error.
> > Thanks.
> > Dave.
> >
> > --
> >

> You should change that to 'and' instead of an 'or'. Javascript validation
> is nice, but you should always validate everything on the server too.
>

> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

--