From: Tagore on
hi,

I want to comment all lines in a C progamming project with a
particular string in it.

Which command to do it?

Thanks,

From: Ed Morton on
On 3/30/2010 8:03 PM, Tagore wrote:
> hi,
>
> I want to comment all lines in a C progamming project with a
> particular string in it.
>
> Which command to do it?

Probably sed, awk, perl, or ruby. If you provided more information and some
sample input and expected output, we could probably help you more.

Ed.
From: Tagore on

> Probably sed, awk, perl, or ruby. If you provided more information and some
> sample input and expected output, we could probably help you more.
>
>         Ed.

I Want to insert "//" at the begining of all lines which have keyword
MY_NAME in all files in all subfolders of a folder.

e.g lines in a file earlier will be
MY_NAME +=10;
a=10;

after running command it would be
//MY_NAME +=10;
a=10;

thanks,
From: Janis Papanagnou on
Tagore schrieb:
>> Probably sed, awk, perl, or ruby. If you provided more information and some
>> sample input and expected output, we could probably help you more.
>>
>> Ed.
>
> I Want to insert "//" at the begining of all lines which have keyword
> MY_NAME in all files in all subfolders of a folder.

A command to list all relevant files in a directory hierarchy is find(1), e.g.

find /start/dir/ -name "*.cc" -exec ...

> e.g lines in a file earlier will be
> MY_NAME +=10;
> a=10;
>
> after running command it would be
> //MY_NAME +=10;
> a=10;

A command to comment out specific lines determined by a pattern MY_NAME is
sed(1), e.g.

sed -i '/MY_NAME/s;^;//;' filename

See 'man find' for the -exec format and 'man sed' to see whether it supports
option -i for inplace editing (otherwise use a temporary file).

Janis

From: Seebs on
On 2010-03-31, Tagore <c.lang.myself(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to comment all lines in a C progamming project with a
> particular string in it.

No, you don't.

> Which command to do it?

This question incorrect grammar.

Also, without a clearer statement of the question, your question is
mostly unanswerable. Do you want to append a comment to those lines?
Comment them out? Are you using C89 or C99 or some other variant?

See also:

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net