From: Tamas K Papp on
I am working on a LAPACK/BLAS wrapper for CL. [1] It is pretty usable
now, with a nice interface, which I am still polishing by using it for
my own numerical projects.

I am wondering whether to include support for symmetric (not
Hermitian) complex matrices. AFAIK symmetric complex matrices (A^T=A)
don't have any useful properties, and I have never encountered
practical applications for them, as opposed to Hermitian matrices
(A^*=A, where ^* is the conjugate transpose), but it could just be
that my experience is limited. If you disagree, please reply and let
me know.

Thanks,

Tamas
From: Tamas K Papp on

[1] I left off the link: http://github.com/tpapp/lla
From: Mirko on
On Dec 9, 4:32 am, Tamas K Papp <tkp...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 09:30:40 +0000, Tamas K Papp wrote:
> > I am working on a LAPACK/BLAS wrapper for CL. [1] It is pretty usable
>
> [1] I left off the link:http://github.com/tpapp/lla

I applaud your effort in doing this and making it available to the
rest of us. Thank you.

Can you comment on where does your package fit in with the several
other lisp packages that interface with lapack/blas (blapack comes to
mind)?

Thanks,

Mirko

From: Mirko on
On Dec 9, 9:54 am, Mirko <mirko.vuko...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 9, 4:32 am, Tamas K Papp <tkp...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 09:30:40 +0000, Tamas K Papp wrote:
> > > I am working on a LAPACK/BLAS wrapper for CL. [1] It is pretty usable
>
> > [1] I left off the link:http://github.com/tpapp/lla
>
> I applaud your effort in doing this and making it available to the
> rest of us.  Thank you.
>
> Can you comment on where does your package fit in with the several
> other lisp packages that interface with lapack/blas (blapack comes to
> mind)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mirko

One other question/comment: Your array access routines provide
functionality not present in CL. That is great.

What would be really cool (and I would love to help if need be) is to
have a vector/matrix/arrays that one can pass to both your library
(and others) *and* gsll.

Or is this already taken care of?

Thanks,

Mirko
From: Pillsy on
On Dec 9, 4:30 am, Tamas K Papp <tkp...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> AFAIK symmetric complex matrices (A^T=A) don't have any useful
> properties, and I have never encountered practical applications
> for them, as opposed to Hermitian matrices (A^*=A, where ^* is
> the conjugate transpose), but it could just be that my experience
> is limited.

I'm an (ex-)physicist and Hermitian matrices are everywhere in
physics, and anti-Hermitian (and anti-symmetric real) matrices came up
pretty frequently, but I'll be damned if I can remember encountering a
matrix that was complex and symmetric by anything other than happy
coincidence or the trivial fact that it was real and symmetric.

Cheers,
Pillsy