From: Archimedes Plutonium on
My foray into the legal system and reflecting on laws that are
contradictory to one another, unless, of course
as in the Legal System you have an overriding principle of that of
"precedence".

So I think I may have stumbled upon something of huge importance to
mathematics and to physics. We
commonly understand math and physics that the concept of consistency
is vital to them and overarching
and prime importance, especially mathematics.

But now, consider, what if true math and true physics
have a concept of "precedence" and not that universal
constant of consistency. That a true mathematics can have local
contradictions of where one theorem contradicts another, but that when
Precedence is applied, that the whole of mathematics is consistent.

So yesterday I started this discussion, and was wondering whether
Physics had a "precedence concept" already within the body of physics.
Is Quantum Tunnelling a "precedence mechanism"?

Is Renormalization in Quantum Electrodynamics the acts or actions of
placing precedence over features or
aspects of a physical phenomenon? Is the principle in
Physics of Least Action, is that not a principle of Precedence?

Now in mathematics it may be much harder to sift out a feature of
precedence as it relates to consistency. But one feature of
mathematics that has always bothered me or troubled me in a mild way
is the idea
that in trigonometry or in geometry that as you circumnavigate the
globe that you come back to 0 and it is not 2pi and then 4pi and then
6pi etc etc. So are we in effect saying that 0 = 2pi and is that not a
act of
precedence?

And then there is Quantum Logic which is not Aristotlean Logic.

So I am wanting to focus with a sharp lens on the
concept of consistency which everyone in mathematics takes for granted
as a vital unmoving
essential concept that is constant. But maybe in truth
it is not primary but secondary and that it is more like
a variable than a constant. And that maybe the truth of
mathematics does not depend on consistency but rather a principle such
as is found in the Legal System
of Precedence.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium