From: JRough on
Okay, I downloaded MySLQ to a usr/local/src directory. I extracted it
from the tarball and then I cd'd to the
newly created directory /usr/local/src/mysql-5.1.40-osx10.5-powerpc

I have to configure it the following way before I do the make.

CC=gcc CFLAGS="-O3 -fno-omit-frame-pointer" CXX=gcc
CXXFLAGS="-O3 -fno-omit-frame-pointer -felide-constructors
-fno-exceptions -fno-rtti"
../configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
--with-extra-charsets=complex --enable-thread-safe-client
--enable-local-infile --enable-shared --with-plugins=innobase

I did the first 3 lines together and I didn't get a response but I
didn't get an error.

sh-3.2# CC=gcc CFLAGS="-O3 -fno-omit-frame-pointer" CXX=gcc
sh-3.2# CXXFLAGS="-O3 -fno-omit-frame-pointer -felide-constructors
> -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti"

The last 3 lines get an error.
sh-3.2# ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
sh: ./configure: No such file or directory
sh-3.2# --with-extra-charsets=complex --enable-thread-safe-client
sh: --with-extra-charsets=complex: command not found
sh-3.2# --enable-local-infile --enable-shared --with-plugins=innobase
sh: --enable-local-infile: command not found

why can't it find ./configure?

thanks,

Janis
From: Greg Russell on
In news:dec6cf5e-6494-4aa9-ac53-ae5ec31fce1c(a)b36g2000prf.googlegroups.com,
JRough <jlrough(a)yahoo.com> typed:

> Okay, I downloaded MySLQ to a usr/local/src directory. I extracted it
> from the tarball and then I cd'd to the
> newly created directory /usr/local/src/mysql-5.1.40-osx10.5-powerpc
>
> I have to configure it the following way before I do the make.

I sincerely doubt the need for such micro-management. The configure script
with deall with everything that you've tried to mess with.

> sh-3.2# ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
> sh: ./configure: No such file or directory
> why can't it find ./configure?

Why do you think it's there? You haven't demonstrated an ls listing to
indicate that it is.

From: JRough on
On Dec 18, 2:42 pm, "Greg Russell" <gruss...(a)invalid.com> wrote:
> Innews:dec6cf5e-6494-4aa9-ac53-ae5ec31fce1c(a)b36g2000prf.googlegroups.com,
> JRough <jlro...(a)yahoo.com> typed:
>
> > Okay, I downloaded MySLQ to a usr/local/src directory.  I extracted it
> > from the tarball and then I cd'd to the
> > newly created directory /usr/local/src/mysql-5.1.40-osx10.5-powerpc
>
> >  I have to configure it the following way before I do the make.
>
> I sincerely doubt the need for such micro-management. The configure script
> with deall with everything that you've tried to mess with.

Okay, I'm following some old instructions for the Mac to compile MySQL
because the guy who made an installer doesn't do it anymore. the
instructions are on
http://hivelogic.com/articles/installing-mysql-on-mac-os-x/
but that is all I have.

The cURL download didn't work so I downloaded 5.1.40 directly from
MySQl while following these instructions. Maybe this one is pre-
configured. Before you do the make don't you have to configure it?
You are right there is no ./configure in fact the make command didn't
work either. How do I get the the file that I can compile? these
instructions say to use a cURL download which didn't work but it
mentions Xcode. Am I supposed to download the file using XCode? I
don't understand why it said you have to use Xcode. that might
explain everything.
From: JRough on
On Dec 18, 2:42 pm, "Greg Russell" <gruss...(a)invalid.com> wrote:
> Innews:dec6cf5e-6494-4aa9-ac53-ae5ec31fce1c(a)b36g2000prf.googlegroups.com,
> JRough <jlro...(a)yahoo.com> typed:
>
> > Okay, I downloaded MySLQ to a usr/local/src directory.  I extracted it
> > from the tarball and then I cd'd to the
> > newly created directory /usr/local/src/mysql-5.1.40-osx10.5-powerpc
>
> >  I have to configure it the following way before I do the make.
>
> I sincerely doubt the need for such micro-management. The configure script
> with deall with everything that you've tried to mess with.
>

> > sh-3.2# ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
> > sh: ./configure: No such file or directory
> > why can't it find ./configure?
>
> Why do you think it's there? You haven't demonstrated an ls listing to
> indicate that it is.

I am going to forget these instructions and use the Apple Developer
instructions however Apple left the command line off their MySQL
installation that comes with Leopard so it makes it really difficult
to figure out how to do it.
I'm just going to ignore these instructions and try it again just
using MySQL instructions but it would be nice to have some
instructions for the Mac.
From: Greg Russell on
In news:d70c15c3-8d7b-4c33-b66d-c6e2279a073a(a)15g2000prz.googlegroups.com,
JRough <jlrough(a)yahoo.com> typed:

> I'm just going to ignore these instructions and try it again just
> using MySQL instructions but it would be nice to have some
> instructions for the Mac.

Have you read the README and INSTALL files that are a normal part of almost
any recent tarball?