From: JT on
How do I convert letters to numbers with VBA. On one of the sheets in my
macro there is a date field. The user indicates the date field by entering
"F" or "B" or "L" in a specific cell on another sheet. Some users will enter
1 or 2 or 4 and it is not a problem. However, some users enter letters and I
need to convert those letters to the appropriate number, so I know which
column contains dates.

Thanks for the help.

--
JT
From: GS on
JT wrote on 6/3/2010 :
> How do I convert letters to numbers with VBA. On one of the sheets in my
> macro there is a date field. The user indicates the date field by entering
> "F" or "B" or "L" in a specific cell on another sheet. Some users will enter
> 1 or 2 or 4 and it is not a problem. However, some users enter letters and I
> need to convert those letters to the appropriate number, so I know which
> column contains dates.
>
> Thanks for the help.

If the letters represent the column label:
DateColumn = Columns("F")

where "A" is column 1, "B" is column 2, and so on.

HTH

--
Garry

From: Jim Cone on

' Jun 08, 2002 - Created - Jim Cone
' Returns the number of the column from the provided column letters.
' The string argument is passed ByVal so a variant can be used.
'==================================================
Function GetColumnNumber(ByVal ColLetters As String) As Long
On Error GoTo BadColumn
GetColumnNumber = Columns(ColLetters).Column
Exit Function
BadColumn:
Beep
GetColumnNumber = 0
End Function
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

From: Gary''s Student on
How about:

Sub dural()
Dim s As String
s = Application.InputBox(prompt:="enter a column letter:", Type:=2)
S2 = s & ":" & s
n = Range(S2).Column
MsgBox (n)
End Sub