From: jimmy on
I'm trying to remember what commands are available for comparing and
updating directories on multiple machines. I'm thinking rcomp or
xcomp and something like xcopy but can't find anything. Sux getting
old....

thx
From: Bit Twister on
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 11:58:39 -0300, jimmy wrote:
> I'm trying to remember what commands are available for comparing and
> updating directories on multiple machines.

I use rsync to sync directories or partitions.

> I'm thinking rcomp or
> xcomp and something like xcopy but can't find anything. Sux getting
> old....

Yep, I find it handy to use "apropos" or "man -k" and grep to find
some commands. Example apropos compare | grep dir

In other cases I put command examples in a unix file where I can grep
for key word(s). Example script (uh) used to search my unix.help:

$ uh rsync
copy current partition to another rsync -aAvx ./ /new
copy one partition to another rsync -aAvx /old/ /new # if do not want /dest/src
copy one partition to another rsync -aAvx /src /dest # if want /dest/src