From: Oleg Nesterov on
On 12/06, Miloslav Trmac wrote:

> ----- "Oleg Nesterov" <oleg(a)redhat.com> wrote:

> > > AFAIK there is no explicit documentation of the atomicity semantics
> > > expected by the Linux kernel (both from the hardware and from the compiler),
> > > so every access to the boolean is protected by a lock, to be on the safe side.
> >
> > Not sure I understand, but the kernel relies on fact it is always safe
> > to load/store a word.
> And is "word" an "unsigned", "unsigned long" or "intptr_t"? Must it be
> suitably aligned, and if so, what is "suitably"?

Sure, it must be aligned.

> Where is this documented?

Perhaps nowhere, I do not know. If this is not documented, probably
it would be nice to add a note.

> > What atomicity semantics do you mean and how ->siglock can help?
> At the very least, "any access will read the last value stored and not result
> in undefined behavior, even if other threads attempt to access the value".
> In user-space, per POSIX, the only way to guarantee this is using explicit
> synchronization primitives.

We have numerous examples in kernel code which rely on this fact.

If we are talking about copy_process() pathes, please look at, say,
sched_fork(). Say, we read current->normal_prio lockless, while another
thread could change ->normal_prio in parallel.

Oleg.