From: Ed Crowley [MVP] on
There's no such thing as a front-end server. You would be installing three
roles, Mailbox, Client Access and Hub Transport. You can certainly install
the CA and HT roles separately from the MB, but for 50 users I don't think
there's any compelling reason to do it.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

From: Mark Arnold [MVP] on
On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 17:15:40 -0600, "CarlK" <nf(a)no.com> wrote:

>Thanks, this is why I asked. One of the consultants talked about exchange
>2010 with a front end server and the database on a backend server.
>interesting...
>My thought was to just put it(exchaneg 2010) all on 1 server but my boss
>wants us to use a low-end server for the front end and the high-end (already
>in house) server as the backend. This is only for a single site with
>about 50 users.

Just get a separate box and install the HT, MB and CAS roles onto it.
Don't even consider putting the MB role onto your SQL box.