From: Samaa on
sorry if my question seems long and basic as i am a beginner @ access
i have a list of items price list that include several columns of categories
and types .... etc.
i have imported the list to access and want to know how to creat a form with
objects that enable me to choose from the several drop down lists field and
the next fields gets filtered automatically according to the selection.
Example:
I choose the car brand then when i go to the model field only the models
related to this car barnd is visible and when i select the model and go to
the options field only options avilable for this car model is visible ... and
so on
From: Steve on
Have a look at this article on Cascading List Boxes:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/infopath/HA011177131033.aspx

I think that this is what you are looking for.

From: Steve on
You are looking for "cascading comboboxes". You can find an example at
www.mvps.org/access. Also go to www.groups.google.com and google for
"cascading comboboxes".

Steve
santus(a)penn.com

From: John W. Vinson on
On Mon, 17 May 2010 11:45:01 -0700, Samaa <Samaa(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>sorry if my question seems long and basic as i am a beginner @ access
>i have a list of items price list that include several columns of categories
>and types .... etc.
>i have imported the list to access and want to know how to creat a form with
>objects that enable me to choose from the several drop down lists field and
>the next fields gets filtered automatically according to the selection.
>Example:
>I choose the car brand then when i go to the model field only the models
>related to this car barnd is visible and when i select the model and go to
>the options field only options avilable for this car model is visible ... and
>so on

This is called a "Conditional Combo Box" - since the values for the options
depend on the model. Try using http://groups.google.com in advanced search
mode to search for Conditional Combo for lots of examples. For a short answer,
you would have a combo on your form (cboModel let's say) which selects the
model; also on the form you would have a combo, cboOptions, based on a Query
with a criterion

=[Forms]![YourFormName]![cboModel]

to limit the rows to those appropriate for that model, based on a table of
options.

Here are some resources that might help...

Jeff Conrad's resources page:
http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html

The Access Web resources page:
http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/index.html

Roger Carlson's tutorials, samples and tips:
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/

A free tutorial written by Crystal:
http://allenbrowne.com/casu-22.html

A video how-to series by Crystal:
http://www.YouTube.com/user/LearnAccessByCrystal

MVP Allen Browne's tutorials:
http://allenbrowne.com/links.html#Tutorials

--

John W. Vinson [MVP]

Pages: 1
Prev: Getting 'Smart Quotes' out of Access
Next: e-mail