From: Ben Bacarisse on
"Russ P." <russ.paielli(a)gmail.com> writes:

> On May 6, 11:54 am, Bill Marcum <marcumb...(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
<snip>
>> Include commands to set the environment variables in your script, or
>> source your .login or .cshrc files.
<snip>
> I tried that, but I can't seem to get it to load. I put
>
> source ~/.cshrc
>
> in the crontab file, but I got this reply:
>
> crontab: installing new crontab
> "/tmp/crontab.XXXXCGDs5E":4: bad minute
> errors in crontab file, can't install.
> Do you want to retry the same edit? y
>
> What is the proper syntax? Thanks.

The error message say that something is wrong with the minute field --
that's first one. I suspect you have an entry in the crontab file that
spans more than one line. This is not usually permitted (though there
are several of different cron implementations).

When the action is anything more than a simple command, it's usually
better to put the whole thing in a script and run that:

0 3 * * * /home/you/bin/my-compile-script

--
Ben.
From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on

>> crontab: installing new crontab
>> "/tmp/crontab.XXXXCGDs5E":4: bad minute
>> errors in crontab file, can't install.
>> Do you want to retry the same edit? y
>>
> Most crond run the programs using sh by default, not csh. [...]
If you read it carefully, you'll find that the choice of shells for
running the script is nothing to do with the cause of the aforementioned
error message. In fact, the frequently given answer to the above
problem relates to a quite different fervently made software choice.
It's not, however, the answer in this particular case, as can be deduced
from the following:

> I put
>
> source ~/.cshrc
>
> in the crontab file [...]
The original instruction was, of course: