From: Herbert Xu on
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 12:35:24PM +0300, Alexander Shishkin wrote:
> Don't compile in and don't schedule cryptomanager's tests when
> CONFIG_CRYPTO_TESTS is not set. This saves quite some time during
> kernel initialization.

You're disabling the self-testing infrastructure. This is not
the same thing as the tcrypt module.

Is this for fast booting?

Cheers,
Email: Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <herbert(a)gondor.apana.org.au>
From: Alexander Shishkin on
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 09:27:26 +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 12:35:24PM +0300, Alexander Shishkin wrote:
> > Don't compile in and don't schedule cryptomanager's tests when
> > CONFIG_CRYPTO_TESTS is not set. This saves quite some time during
> > kernel initialization.
>
> You're disabling the self-testing infrastructure. This is not
> the same thing as the tcrypt module.

It is my intention to disable these tests since in my running them at
every boot doesn't add any value. I thought about adding a separate
Kconfig option for that, too. I want to make sure it's a sensible thing
to do.

> Is this for fast booting?

Yes, it saves ~180 miliseconds for me at prng_mod_init(), for example.

Regards,
--
Alex
From: Herbert Xu on
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 03:20:50PM +0300, Alexander Shishkin wrote:

> Yes, it saves ~180 miliseconds for me at prng_mod_init(), for example.

I see. In that case please introduce a new Kconfig option for
this that defaults to testing being enabled.

Thanks!
Email: Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <herbert(a)gondor.apana.org.au>