From: Bob on
Hello,

I copied from a source a spreadsheet that is apparently in .csv format.

When I paste it into a regular Excel 2007 spreadsheet, everything is on
one line; the columns don't seem to have any significance.

How can I rfeformat this .csv such that all the columns (that are
apparently there between the commas) are now placed in actual the Excel
columns ?

Thanks,
Bob
From: Dave Peterson on
If you Open the file (ctrl-o), then excel will use your windows list
separator/delimiter to parse your .csv file.

If your windows delimiter is a semi-colon (common outside the USA), then you
could see this problem.

But if your windows settings match the data, ctrl-o should work ok.

If you're just copy|pasting and it still goes into a single column (not a single
row), then you can use Text to columns (on the Data tab of the Ribbon, _I
think_) and follow the wizard to parse your data based on that comma delimiter.

=====
And just a warning...

If you do the copy|Paste a second time in the same session of excel, don't be
surprised it excel remembers your choices. This can be a helpful feature
(sometimes!).

--

Dave Peterson