From: Archimedes Plutonium on
I do not remember where the word "calculus" comes from, but if I were
to rename it today
it should be called the "strip decomposition process" and it would
include the integration and
differentiation. And the reverse would be the "strip building process"
and it maybe given the name "recalculus" for it is the reversal of the
old calculus since it joins strips together to form a geometrical
object. In the old calculus, the strips were of course picket fences.
In the recalculus the strips are tiny thin strips like picket fences
without the triangle atop each
picket fence.

Now I said in previous posts the only main feature of these strip
building process is to not leave any gaps and where overlap is common.
Let me say that overlap is also to be avoided.
What is wanted is for the strips to join or "touch" as close as
possible and that we have a
special glue to glue together two touching strips, but if an overlap
does occurr, that is alright
also, just try to have the overlap as small as possible. But a gap or
hole is verboten and never
permitted.

Now if one looks at a cube that has inside of it a sphere and cuts out
the sphere leaving behind a residue and if one cuts this residue into
8 pieces that keeps the corners of the cube
in a symmetrical position. Now rearranging those 8 pieces so that the
Euclidean sides touch
one another we can construct from those 8 pieces a hyperboloid. So
that the cube of Euclidean geometry is equal to the sphere of Elliptic
plus the hyperboloid of Hyperbolic geometry. In the Calculus we had a
similar type of formula, only multiplication, where we had the
integration is an antiderivative of differentiation. So we can see
that ReCalculus and Calculus are similar to one another, and are
reversals of one another. The Calculus decomposes geometry into strips
of picket fences to tell us area and rate of change, whereas
the ReCalculus takes strips and builds a geometrical object.

Archimedes Plutonium
http://www.iw.net/~a_plutonium/