From: Michael Myers on
On my system some settings for the compiler (Solaris) are wrong and i
want to modify these.
But since i dont have root access, i cannot modify that file directly.
Is it possible to put a copy of that file like in .gem/ or something so
ruby/mkmf can access the settings from there and the system-settings get
overwritten by my settings?

From: Luis Lavena on
On Apr 27, 4:05 pm, Michael Myers <sku...(a)gmx.ch> wrote:
> On my system some settings for the compiler (Solaris) are wrong and i
> want to modify these.
> But since i dont have root access, i cannot modify that file directly.
> Is it possible to put a copy of that file like in .gem/ or something so
> ruby/mkmf can access the settings from there and the system-settings get
> overwritten by my settings?

Install ruby using rvm:

http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/

And have your own version of Ruby that lives in your user folder, and
problem solved.

Saying this because since you don't have access to rbconfig system-
wide, there will be no chance to perform "sudo gem install" which then
could lead to problems.

HTH,
--
Luis Lavena
From: Michael Myers on
RVM install somehow didnt work for me on Solaris, got quite many error
messages on the install script with command not found etc.

And installing gems works with "gem install xx", it installs the gem in
my home folder then, so thats not problem.
My poblem are native gems, since those use the compiler settings from
the rbconfig.rb and i want to overwrite these somehow.